David Reynolds traces the legacy of the Great War across 100 years and 10 different countries, examining how the war haunted a generation and shaped the peace that followed.
Long Shadow is a three-part television documentary produced by ClearStory and presented by Cambridge University historian David Reynolds.
Each episode explores an enduring legacy of the First World War through the century that followed, tracing the impact on attitudes to war and peace, on politics and on nationalism.
- It premiered on BBC2 in September and October 2014, receiving widespread and favourable coverage in the press.
- The series is based on David Reynolds’ book, The Long Shadow: the Great War and the Twentieth Century, published by Simon & Schuster in 2013, which won the 2014 PEN Hessell-Tiltman Prize for History.
Long Shadow Series
Production & Filming Details
- Presenter(s): David Reynolds.
- Director(s): Russell Barnes.
- Writer(s): Russell Barnes and David Reynolds.
- Editor(s): Richard Wheat.
- Production: ClearStory.
- Distributor(s): DRG and BBC Two.
- Release Date: 24 September 2014 to 08 October 2014.
- Running Time: 60 minutes.
- Rating: Unknown.
- Country: Australia.
- Language: English.