This series deals with the mass migration of Germanic tribes at the very beginning of European history, when Rome raced toward collapse.
This documentary deals with the mass migration of Germanic tribes at the very beginning of European history, while Ancient Rome raced towards inevitable collapse and a new political centre developed in Northwest Europe. This period, from the invasion of the Huns in 375 to the conquest of Italy by the Lombards in 568, is one of the most fascinating, significant and complex epochs in history. In 120 BC the Cimbrians and Teutons emerged from Denmark and waged war on the Roman Empire to the south, with conspicuous success. In the fifth century the Goths, Franks and Vandals joined the bloodthirsty Huns, bringing about the final collapse of the Empire. From the ruins arose new kingdoms: the Ostrogoths in present-day Italy, the Visigoths in Spain, the Anglo-Saxons in England and the Franks in modern France and Germany. In 800 AD, when Charlemagne, King of the Franks, was crowned Holy Roman Emperor, it marked the beginning of modern European history.
Battle Castle Series
- Episode 01: Cimbrians and Teutons.
- Episode 02: The Varus Battle and Gothic Sagas.
- Also known as The Saga of the Goths.
- Episode 03: The Struggle for Rome.
- Also known as The Fall of Rome.
- Episode 04: The Legacy of the Empire.
- Also known as The Heirs of the Empire.
Production & Filming Details
- Christian Feyerabend.
- Nina Koshofer.
- Monika von Behr.
- Stefan Schneider.
- Uwe Kersken.
- Gruppe 5 Filmproduktion for ZDF.
- ZDF Enterprises.
- Release Date: 23 October 2002.
- Running Time: 50 minutes.
- Rating: 13+.
- Country: Germany.
- Language: English and German.