Ah Boys to Men 03: Frogmen (simplified Chinese: 新兵正传III：蛙人传; traditional Chinese: 新兵正傳III：蛙人傳; pinyin: xīnbīng zhèngzhuàn III: wārénzhuàn; literally: “Recruits’ True Biography”) is a 2015 Singaporean comedy film produced and directed by Jack Neo. It was released in cinemas on 19 February 2015. The film raked in $2.83 million at the box office within four days, making it the first Asian film with the highest ever box office takings in its opening weekend in Singapore. It is part of the Ah Boys To Men film series.
The film negates all happenings in the previous two films (2012 and 2013) and explores what might have happened should the boys have been assigned to Singapore’s Naval Diving Unit (NDU). The movie offers a peek into the intensive training regime of the NDU, which have never been revealed so far. Together, the boys must survive 40 weeks of hell to become Frogmen, one of Singapore’s most fearsome military units.
- Tosh Zhang as Third Warrant Officer/Second Sergeant Alex Ong.
- Wang Weiliang as Third Sergeant Bang “Lobang” Lee Onn.
- Joshua Tan as Third Sergeant Ken Chow.
- Maxi Lim as Third Sergeant Aloysius Jin aka Wayang King.
- Wesley Wong as Third Sergeant Shek Hak Long aka Hei Long.
- Justin Dominic Misson as Second Warrant Officer BT Lum aka No.2.
- Charlie Goh as Corporal Tan Wei Ming.
- Bunz Bao as Corporal Sam Hui.
- Jaspers Lai as Corporal Handsome.
- Hanrey Low as Henry.
- Gadrick Chin as Sha Bao 傻豹.
- Joey Leong as Lo Wei 罗薇, Lobang’s sister.
- Richard Low as Ken’s father.
- Irene Ang as Mary Chow, Ken’s mother.
- Yoo Ah Min as Ken’s grandmother.
- Wang Lei as Ken’s uncle.
- Aileen Tan as Lobang’s mother.
- Hayley Woo as Amy, Ken’s girlfriend.
- Chen Tianwen as Mr. Jin, Aloysius’ father.
- Ye Li Mei as Mrs. Jin, Aloysius’ mother.
- Colonel Tan Hong Teck cameo as himself, Commander, Naval Diving Unit.
- Noah Yap as Man In Ping a.k.a. IP Man, only appears in the credits.
The film was shot at the Naval Diving Unit in Sembawang Camp. The film was written by Jack Neo (梁智强) & Ivan Ho (夏友庆), and the film being directed by Jack Neo (梁智强).
The official theme song of Ah Boys to Men 03: Frogmen, titled “Who Else”, was written, composed and performed by Tosh Zhang, a YouTube personality who is part of the cast in the film. An official music video was uploaded on YouTube on 04 February 2015.
The OST of Ah Boys to Men 03: Frogmen, titled “Why Me”, was uploaded on YouTube on 16 May 2015.
The film was expected to be a hit with profits estimated to surpass over $3 million at the box office after release. Singapore Box Office reported that an estimated $7.63 million have been grossed between the dates of 19 February and 07 May. By the end of its theatrical run, the film had grossed $7.8 million, which was $0.1 million below the second instalment’s grossing’s but $1.5 million higher than the first instalment.
Ah Boys to Men 03 Edition was released on DVD on 08 May 2015.
Production & Filming Details
- Director(s): Jack Neo.
- Producer(s): Ong Thiam Seng.
- Writer(s): Jack Neo and Ivan Ho.
- Music: Mo Ju Li.
- Cinematography: Xu Ji Wei.
- Editor(s): Yim Mun Chong.
- Production: J Team Productions and mm2 Entertainment.
- Distributor(s): Golden Village Pictures.
- Release Date:
- Ah Boys To Men: 08 November 2012.
- Ah Boys To Men 02: 01 February 2013.
- Ah Boys To Men 03: Frogmen: 19 February 2015.
- Ah Boys To Men 04: 09 November 2017.
- Running Time: 148 minutes.
- Rating: Unknown.
- Country: Singapore.
- Language: English, Chinese, Hokkien, and Cantonese.