Without Remorse, or Tom Clancy’s Without Remorse, is an upcoming American action thriller film directed by Stefano Sollima and written by Taylor Sheridan and Will Staples.
It is based on the 1993 novel of the same name by Tom Clancy and a spin-off of the Jack Ryan film series.
Originally produced and set for a theatrical release by Paramount Pictures, due to the (then) ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, Amazon Studios acquired the rights and released it on Prime Video on 30 April 2021.
The film centres around US Navy SEAL John Clark uncovering an international conspiracy while seeking justice for the murder of his pregnant wife by Russian soldiers.
When Clark joins forces with fellow SEAL Karen Greer and shadowy CIA officer Robert Ritter, the mission unwittingly exposes a covert plot that threatens to engulf the US and Russia in an all-out war.
- Michael B. Jordan as John Clark.
- Jamie Bell as Robert Ritter.
- Jodie Turner-Smith as Karen Greer.
- Luke Mitchell as Rowdy.
- Jack Kesy as Thunder.
- Brett Gelman as Victor Rykov.
- Colman Domingo as Pastor West.
- Guy Pearce as Secretary Clay.
- Lauren London as Pam Clark, John’s pregnant wife.
- Jacob Scipio as Hatchet.
- Cam Gigandet as Keith Webb.
- Todd Lasance as Dallas.
Savoy Pictures first bought the film rights to Without Remorse soon after the novel was released for $2.5 million. At one point, Keanu Reeves was offered the role as Clark for $7 million but declined. Although the film failed to meet its expected December 1995 release date, it was fast tracked after John Milius joined the production with the intent to write and direct the film, working in close consultation with the original book’s author Tom Clancy. Variety magazine reported that Laurence Fishburne and Gary Sinise were later attached to star in the adaptation; however, production was shut down for script problems and financial woes with the production company. The film went under development hell for years until Christopher McQuarrie signed on with Paramount Pictures to direct the adaptation in 2012. Tom Hardy was approached by Paramount to play Clark, and Kevin Costner was slated to reprise his role as mentor William Harper from another Clancy-based film, Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit (2014), but this version was most likely scrapped.
In 2017, it was announced that Akiva Goldsman signed on with the same studio to produce another film adaptation starring Clark, Rainbow Six. On 20 September 2018, Michael B. Jordan was announced to be playing the character in a two-part film series, which will be composed of Without Remorse and Rainbow Six and produced by Goldsman, Jordan, Josh Appelbaum, and Andre Nemec. In December 2018, Stefano Sollima was hired to direct the film. On 09 January 2019, Variety announced that Taylor Sheridan will rewrite the screenplay.
In September 2019, Jamie Bell and Jodie Turner-Smith were cast, with Luke Mitchell, Jacob Scipio, Cam Gigandet, Jack Kesy, Todd Lasance and Brett Gelman joining in October.
Filming began in Berlin on 25 October 2019. Some filming was scheduled to begin on 19 December near Dupont Circle in Washington, D.C. The film possibly completed filming in Los Angeles on 19 October 2020.
Without Remorse was originally scheduled to be released on 18 September 2020 by Paramount Pictures, but due to the COVID-19 pandemic, it was delayed to 02 October 2020, and again to 26 February 2021. In July 2020, Amazon Studios entered talks to acquire the distribution rights to the film and release it digitally on Prime Video. Paramount officially took the film off its theatrical release calendar in November 2020. The film was teased in Amazon’s commercial featuring Alexa and Michael B. Jordan made for Super Bowl LV. It was released on Prime Video on 30 April 2021.
In September 2018, Michael B. Jordan was announced to be playing John Clark in a two-part film series, with Rainbow Six as the intended sequel to the film.
- The plot has nothing to do with the novel, with the exception that John Clark was a Navy Seal.
- The catalyst in the book is that Clark secretly goes after the drug lords that killed his girlfriend, while at the same time, helping the government rescue POWs.
- John Kelly/Clark has been played in other Tom Clancy movies by Willem Dafoe in Clear and Present Danger (1994) and Liev Schreiber in The Sum of All Fears (2002).
- This is the story of how he came to be associated with the CIA.
Production & Filming Details
- Stefano Sollima.
- Josh Appelbaum … producer.
- Akiva Goldsman … producer.
- Jonathan Hook … line producer.
- Michael B. Jordan … producer.
- Gregory Lessans … executive producer.
- Henning Molfenter … co-producer.
- André Nemec … producer.
- Denis L. Stewart … executive producer.
- Brian Oliver … executive producer.
- Bradley J. Fischer … executive producer.
- Don Granger … producer.
- Dana Goldberg … producer.
- Charlie Woebcken … co-producer.
- David Ellison … producer.
- Christoph Fisser … co-producer.
- Taylor Sheridan … (screenplay by).
- Will Staples … (screenplay by).
- Taylor Sheridan … (screen story by).
- Will Staples … (screen story by).
- Tom Clancy … (novel).
- Jon Thor Birgisson.
- Philippe Rousselot.
- Matthew Newman.
- New Republic Pictures (in association with).
- Midnight Radio (a Midnight Radio production).
- Outlier Society (an Outlier Society production).
- Weed Road Pictures (a Weed Radio Pictures production).
- Amazon Studios.
- Paramount Pictures.
- Skydance Media.
- Amazon Prime Video (2021) (World-wide) (video) (VOD).
- Amazon Studios (2021) (World-wide) (all media).
- Release Date: 30 April 2021.
- Running Time: ? minutes.
- Rating: R.
- Country: US.
- Language: English.