Carry on Admiral (released in the United States as The Ship Was Loaded) is a 1957 British comedy film directed by Val Guest and featuring David Tomlinson and Ronald Shiner; Joan Sims, who later became prominent in the Carry On series, has a small part.
It predates and was not part of the Carry On series, and does not share any regular cast members beyond Sims, though it is similar in tone and style to the earliest films in the series. Joan Hickson also made an appearance in this film and a few films in the Carry On series. It was based on the 1947 stage play Off the Record, written by Ian Hay.
In the course of a drunken reunion, two old friends (one a junior Government minister, the other a Royal Navy officer in uniform about to take command for the first time) switch clothes before passing out. Next morning, their changed clothes result in a series of cases of mistaken identity. The film follows the efforts of each to reunite himself with his own destiny.
- David Tomlinson as Tom Baker.
- Peggy Cummins as Susan Lashwood.
- Brian Reece as Peter Fraser.
- Eunice Gayson as Jane Godfrey.
- A. E. Matthews as Admiral Sir Maximillian Godfrey, K.C.B.
- Joan Sims as Mary, a chambermaid.
- Lionel Murton as Psychiatrist.
- Reginald Beckwith as Receptionist.
- Desmond Walter-Ellis as Willy Oughton-Formby.
- Ronald Shiner as Salty Simpson.
- Peter Coke as Lieutenant Lashwood.
- Derek Blomfield as Lieutenant Dodson.
- Tom Gill as Petty Officer.
- Sam Kydd as Attendant.
- The fictional ship HMS Sherwood in the film is played by a Daring-class destroyer.
- Other ships shown include the battleship HMS Vanguard and the frigate HMS Paladin during the title sequence, two Dido-class cruisers in early background scenes, and a Loch-class frigate during the closing credits.
- Several scenes were filmed in Admiralty House, in Portsmouth Naval Base.
Carry On Series
- Carry On Admiral (1957).
- Carry On Sergeant (1958).
- Carry On Jack (1964).
- Carry On Cleo (1964).
- Don’t Lose Your Head (1966).
- Carry On Up the Khyber (1968).
- Carry On England (1976).
You can find a full index and overview of the Carry On Franchise here.
Production & Filming Details
- Val Guest.
- Val Guest (screenplay).
- Based on Off the Record by Ian Hay & Stephen King-Hall.
- Philip Green.
- Arthur Grant.
- John Pomeroy.
- Renown Pictures Corporation.
- Release Date: 14 May 1957.
- Rating: PG.
- Running Time: 83 minutes.
- Country: UK.
- Language: English.