An account of the troubled life of Richard Sorge (1895-1944), a Soviet spy of German origin who played a decisive role in the outcome of World War II .
Also known as Richard Sorge – Ein Romantiker als Spion (original title).
This is a story about ideals, beliefs and betrayal. Richard Sorge fought against Hitler and National Socialism.
Out of conviction for the Communist cause, Richard Sorge acted as a spy in service of Stalin. The man with a German father and a Russian mother was a member of Hitler’s NSDAP and was living in Japan, an ally of Nazi-Germany. In 1951 a journalist wrote that, “He had indeed betrayed his fatherland, but in favour of his motherland.” And truer words have never been spoken. He was a master spy, duty-bound to the fight against Hitler – a daredevil, a womanizer and a rule breaker. Richard Sorge is not just the model for Ian Fleming’s “James Bond” – he was the actual James Bond – A fact that turns this historical documentary into a cinematic thriller. His is a story about love, loyalty, trust and betrayal.
In Moscow stands a monument erected in his honour and a second one is in his birthplace Baku in today’s Azerbaijan. No other spy in the world has been fortunate enough to be granted this honour. Normally, those who engage in secret services are not acknowledged for their contributions – neither in the East nor in the West. The rulers of the Kremlin had denied Richard for more than twenty years after his death. It was only in the mid-sixties that his legacy was rehabilitated. He is now considered one of the most successful agents of the 20th century and Stalin’s best secret agent.
Production & Filming Details
- Danielle Proskar.
- Michael Trabitzsch.
- Kama Bonvin … producer.
- Dieter Pochlatko … producer.
- Jakob Pochlatko … producer.
- Michael Trabitzsch … producer.
- Yu Yamamoto … producer.
- Markus Pochinger.
- Martin Biribauer.
- Michaela Mullner.
- ARTE (in cooperation with).
- Epo-Film Produktionsgesellschaft (in cooperation with) (as epo-film).
- Prounen Film (in cooperation with).
- Rai Südtirol (in cooperation with).
- Zweites Deutsches Fernsehen (ZDF) (with) (as 2DF).
- Spiegel Geschichte (2017) (Germany) (TV).
- Yleisradio (YLE) (2019) (Finland) (all media).
- Release Date: 30 December 2017 (Spiegel Geschichte, Germany).
- Running Time: 53 minutes.
- Rating: Unknown.
- Country: US.
- Language: English.