Empire is a 2012 BBC and Open University co-production, written and presented by Jeremy Paxman, charting the rise of the British Empire from the trading companies of India to the rule over a quarter of the world’s population and its legacy in the modern world.
Written and presented by English broadcaster, journalist, and author Jeremy Paxman, this richly detailed documentary follows the rise of the British Empire. At its height, the small island nation ruled over a quarter of the world’s population. Examining what is often considered a dark stain on British history, it shows how greed and a lust for power marginalised numerous groups across the Empire’s vast expanse.
- A book, Empire: What Ruling the World Did to the British, and a region 2 DVD Empire accompany the series.
- The series was criticised by some for its handling of controversial material while trying to avoid offense to numerous stakeholders and audiences.
- Episode 01: A Taste for Power.
- Episode 02: Making Ourselves at Home.
- Episode 03: Playing the Game.
- Episode 04: Making a Fortune.
- Episode 05: Doing Good.
Production & Filming Details
- Robin Dashwood … (3 episodes, 2012).
- John Hay … (3 episodes, 2012).
- Julian Birkett … (1 episode, 2012).
- Roger Parsons … (1 episode, 2012).
- David Vincent … (1 episode, 2012).
- Julian Birkett … series producer (5 episodes, 2012).
- Basil Comely … executive producer (5 episodes, 2012).
- Catherine McCarthy … executive producer: BBC/The Open University (5 episodes, 2012).
- Jeremy Paxman … (5 episodes, 2012).
- Chris Nicolaides … (5 episodes, 2012).
- Mike Garner … (5 episodes, 2012).
- Andrea Carnevali … (5 episodes, 2012).
- Joanna Crickmay … (3 episodes, 2012).
- British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) (2012) (UK) (TV).
- Yleisradio (YLE) (2012) (Finland) (TV).
- Release Date: 27 February 2012 to 26 March 2012.
- Running Time: 303 minutes (total running time).
- Rating: Not Rated.
- Country: UK.
- Language: English.