Spies at Work (German: Spione am Werk) is a 1933 German thriller film directed by Gerhard Lamprecht and starring Karl Ludwig Diehl, Brigitte Helm, and Eduard von Winterstein. A spy film, it is set during the First World War conflict between Austria and Italy.
It was remade as On Secret Service (1933).
During the Great War, an Austrian officer suspected of being an Italian spy, volunteers for a mission to parachute into Italy, where he falls in love with a real spy.
- Karl Ludwig Diehl as Michael von Hombergk, Generalstabsoffizier.
- Brigitte Helm as Marchesa Marcella Galdi.
- Eduard von Winterstein as Oberst von Waldmüller.
- Günther Hadank as Hauptmann Larco.
- Ernst Dumcke as Hauptmann Romanelli.
- Theodor Loos as Davila, Kunsthändler.
- Paul Otto as Conte Valenti.
- Oskar Homolka as Blünzli (Agent B 18).
- Heinrich Heilinger as Der Fremde Herr.
- Julius Falkenstein as Ricci, Uhrmacher.
- Harry Hardt as 1. Offizier.
- André Mattoni as 2. Offizier.
- The film’s sets were designed by the art director Karl Weber and Erich Zander.
- The film was shot at the Babelsberg Studios in Berlin.
- A British version On Secret Service was also made in 1933.
- Banned by the German Propaganda Ministry, 08 October 1935.
Production & Filming Details
- Gerhard Lamprecht.
- Arnold Pressburger … producer.
- Gregor Rabinovitch … producer.
- Herbert Juttke … (writer).
- Max W. Kimmich … (novel).
- Georg C. Klaren … (novel and writer).
- Guiseppe Becce.
- Robert Baberske.
- Fritz Arno Wagner.
- Cine-Allianz Tonfilmproduktions GmbH.
- Erwin Weiß (1933) (Austria) (theatrical).
- Release Date: 31 March 1933 (Germany).
- Rating: Unknown.
- Running Time: 83 minutes.
- Country: Germany.
- Language: German.