Tough to Kill (Italian: Duri a morire) is a 1978 Italian action film shot in the Dominican Republic written and directed by Joe D’Amato and starring Luc Merenda and Donald O’Brien.
A hit man joins a band of mercenaries for a mission in an African jungle during a civil war. His goal is to bring back a wanted mercenary dead or alive, for whom a huge reward has been offered. The members of the squad all wind up fighting with each other over the prize.
- Luc Merenda as Martin.
- Donald O’Brien as Major Hagerty.
- Percy Hogan as Wabu.
- Laurence Stark as Mike O’Sullivan.
- Piero Vida as Leon.
- Wolfango Soldati as Polansky.
- Isarco Ravaioli as Captain Duscheff/Duchesne.
- Alessandro Haber as Papadinos.
- Lorenza Rodriguez Lopez as Stella.
The film soundtrack by Stelvio Cipriani was released on CD by Digitsoundtracks on 7 February 2019.
- The whole thing was shot without sound, with the actors looping their lines in post-production.
- In addition to star Merenda, the movie’s poster features the likenesses of Michael Sopkiw, Tony King, and Stefano Mingardo even though none of them appear in the movie.
Production & Filming Details
- Joe D’Amato.
- Giuseppe Zaccariello … producer.
- Giuseppe Zaccariello … (written by) (as Joseph McLee).
- Sergio Donati … (written by).
- Joe D’Amato … (uncredited).
- Stelvio Cipriani.
- Joe D’Amato … (as Aristide Massaccesi).
- Francesco Malvestito … (as Francesco Malvestiti).
- Filmhansa (1985) (West Germany) (theatrical).
- Internacional Films Distribución (Spain) (theatrical).
- Geiselgasteig Film (1985) (Germany) (VHS).
- General Video (1979) (Italy) (VHS) (Dubbed).
- Great Movies (2016) (Germany) (DVD).
- Italian Stallion Productions (1979) (World-wide) (all media) (dubbed).
- Video Screen Play (VSP) (1985) (Greece) (VHS).
- Release Date: 15 March 1979 (Italy).
- Rating: Unknown.
- Running Time: 83 minutes.
- Country: Italy.
- Language: Italian.