Dog is a 2022 American comedy-drama road film directed by Channing Tatum and Reid Carolin, both making their respective feature directorial debuts.
The film stars Tatum as an Army Ranger who must escort the dog of his fallen commander to the funeral; Jane Adams, Kevin Nash, Q’orianka Kilcher, Ethan Suplee, Emmy Raver-Lampman, and Nicole LaLiberte also star.
US Army Ranger Briggs is tasked with bringing Lulu, a Belgian Malinois military working dog, down the Pacific Coast from Joint Base Lewis-McChord in Washington to Nogales, Arizona in time to attend her handler’s funeral. Along the way, Briggs has to come to terms with his post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) as well as his difficulty with making emotional connections.
- Channing Tatum as US Army Ranger Jackson Briggs.
- Jane Adams as Tamara.
- Kevin Nash as Gus.
- Q’orianka Kilcher as Niki.
- Ethan Suplee as Noah.
- Emmy Raver-Lampman as Bella.
- Nicole LaLiberte as Zoe.
- Luke Forbes as Jones.
- Ronnie Gene Blevins as Keith.
- Aqueela Zoll as Callan.
- Bill Burr as a Police Officer.
On 05 November 2019, Channing Tatum and Reid Carolin were announced to be making their directorial debuts, from a script Carolin wrote with Brett Rodriguez. Tatum and Caroline would also produce, alongside Peter Kiernan and Gregory Jacobs through Free Association. On 02 March 2020, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer acquired North American distribution rights to the film.
In addition to co-directing the film, Tatum also stars in the lead role. In December 2020, Q’orianka Kilcher was added to the cast. On 15 November 2019, filming was announced set to start in the middle of 2020. It filmed in Valencia and Lancaster, California amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
The film was originally scheduled to be released in the United States on 12 February 2021 by Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, but was pushed back to July, due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The date was later revealed to be July 16. It was then pushed back again to 18 February 2022.
According to iSpot, United Artists Releasing spent $16.3 million in television spots that generated 1.17 billion impressions. The film was particularly advertised on Fox News, CBS, TLC, NBC, and ABC across programs including the Winter Olympics, the NFL, re-runs of Friends, and Hannity. According to social media firm RelishMix, social digital awareness hit 81.9 million across Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and Instagram before opening. Tatum’s 45.6 million followers on social media were highlighted as a significant factor in the film’s box office performance.
In the United States and Canada, Dog was released alongside Uncharted and The Cursed, and was projected to gross $6-11 million from 3,677 theatres in its opening weekend (as well as $7.5-14 million if including the Presidents’ Day holiday). The film earned an estimated $5 million on its first day, including $1.26 million from Valentine’s Day (14 February) and Thursday night previews. Its opening surpassed projections, grossing $14.9 million in three days and $17.4 million for the four day President’s Day weekend. Overall audiences during its opening were 54% female, 73% above the age of 25, 53% above 35, and 37% above 45.
Production & Filming Details
- Reid Carolin.
- Channing Tatum.
- Betsy Danbury … executive producer.
- Gregory Jacobs … producer.
- Peter Kiernan … producer.
- Garret Levitz … co-producer.
- Ken Meyer … executive producer.
- Brett Rodriguez … producer.
- Channing Tatum … producer.
- Reid Carolin … screenplay and story.
- Brett Rodriguez … story.
- Thomas Newman.
- Newton Thomas Sigel … director of photography.
- Leslie Jones.
- Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer (MGM).
- CAA Media Finance.
- FilmNation Entertainment.
- Free Association.
- United Artists Releasing (2022) (USA) (theatrical).
- Blue Lantern Entertainment International (2022) (Vietnam) (theatrical).
- CatchPlay (2022) (Taiwan) (theatrical).
- Cinemundo (2022) (Portugal) (theatrical).
- Diamond Films (2022) (Spain) (theatrical).
- Entertainment Film Distributors (2022) (UK) (theatrical).
- Leonine Distribution (2022) (Germany) (theatrical).
- Monolith Films (2022) (Poland) (theatrical).
- Nordisk Film Distribution (2022) (Denmark) (theatrical).
- Notorious Pictures (2022) (Italy) (theatrical).
- Roadshow Film Distributors (NZ) Ltd. (2022) (New Zealand) (theatrical).
- Roadshow Films (2022) (Australia) (theatrical).
- Sam Film (2022) (Iceland) (theatrical).
- Shaw Organisation (2022) (Singapore) (theatrical).
- Times Media Films (2022) (South Africa) (theatrical).
- WW Entertainment (2022) (Belgium) (theatrical).
- WW Entertainment (2022) (Netherlands) (theatrical).
- Ascot Elite Entertainment Group (2022) (Switzerland) (all media).
- Release Date: 14 February 2022 (US).
- Rating: 12A.
- Running Time: 101 minutes.
- Country: US.
- Language: English.