Once Upon a Time in London is a 2019 British crime drama film directed by Simon Rumley and written by Will Gilbey, Rumley and Terry Stone. The film is about the notorious gangsters Billy Hill and Jack Comer.
The film stars Leo Gregory, Terry Stone, Holly Earl, Dominic Keating and Geoff Bell. It was released on 19 April 2019.
In the 1930s, organised crime came to England. The Italian Sabinis and English White family in West End dominated the London underworld. Come WWII and Jack “Spot” Comer took over and later Billy Hill.
- Leo Gregory as Billy Hill.
- Terry Stone as Jack Comer.
- Holly Earl as Aggie Vaux.
- Dominic Keating as Belgian Johnny.
- Geoff Bell as Darky Mulley.
- Jamie Foreman as Alf White.
- Doug Allen as Albert Dimes.
- Andy Beckwith as Sonny The Yank.
- Roland Manookian as Frankie Fraser.
- Justin Salinger as Harry White.
- Kate Braithwaite as Gypsy.
- Laura Carter as Daisy.
- Simon Munnery as Duncan Webb.
- Frank Buglioni as Elephant Dave.
- Steve Collins as Elephant Dave.
- Joe Egan as Bears Breath.
- Jamie O’Hara as Grinning Mike.
- Nadia Forde as Rita.
- JJ Hamblett as Bobby Warren.
- Ali Cook as Odd Legs.
- Alfie Best as Electric Alfie.
- Theo Devaney as Stanley.
Simon Rumley directed the film from a script he co-wrote with Will Gilbey and Terry Stone, while Stone would produce the film along with Richard Turner, and Tiernan Hanby would co-produce the film. Gateway Films is the production company behind the film along with Ratio Film Presentation.
Principal photography on the film began on 03 April 2017 in and around London.
- Jamie Foreman who plays Alf White, head of the White family street gang, is the son of real-life convicted London gangster Freddie Foreman who was convicted of handling the proceeds of an armed robbery.
- He was also convicted of disposing of the body of Jack “the Hat” McVitie who was murdered by Reggie Kray.
- Jack Comer was born Jacob Colmore in Mile End, in the East End of London, England on 12 April 1912 and died 12 March 1996.
- Frankie Fraser was born in Cornwall Road, Waterloo, London, England on 13 December 1923 and died 26 November 2014.
- Billy Hill was born William Charles Hill in St Pancras, London, England on 13 December 1911 and died 01 January 1984.
- The song sung and covered within Once Upon a Time in London (2019) of “We’ll Meet Again” (originally titled “We’ll Be Together Again”) was a [British] World War 2 song sung by Vera Lynn and renamed after the film, starring Vera Lynn, We’ll Meet Again (1943).
Production & Filming Details
- Simon Rumley.
- Ray Empson … executive producer.
- Tiernan Hanby … co-producer.
- Andrew Harvey … line producer.
- Chris Howard … executive producer.
- Jyotsna Shah … executive producer.
- Piyush Shah … executive producer.
- Terry Stone … producer.
- Richard Turner … producer.
- Jezz Vernon … executive producer.
- Will Gilbey.
- Simon Rumley.
- Terry Stone.
- Richard Chester.
- Milton Kam.
- Tom Parsons.
- Signature Entertainment (2019) (UK) (theatrical).
- Defiant Screen Entertainment (2019) (Australia) (all media).
- Netflix (2020) (Netherlands) (video) (VOD).
- Signature Entertainment (2019) (UK) (video) (PVoD).
- Release Date: 19 April 2019 (UK).
- Rating: 18.
- Running Time: 111 minutes.
- Country: UK.
- Language: English.