BBC History of World War II (1989–2005) is a 30-hour, 12-disc collection of 10 BBC television films about World War II.
The films include documentaries, docudramas, and “dramatised documentaries” (inter-cutting of historical footage with dramatic recreations).
The 10 definitive BBC series that have shaped our understanding of World War II.
BBC History of World War II Series
- The Nazis: A Warning from History (1997, 6 Episodes, 290 minutes, 4:3 Full screen, 2 Discs).
- Documentary on the reasons behind the rise and fall of the Nazis and of Nazi Germany.
- The Road to War: Great Britain, Italy, Japan, USA (1989, 2 Episodes, 190 minutes, 4:3 Fullscreen, 1 Disc).
- Documentary on how Germany, Britain, France, Canada, Italy, the Soviet Union, Japan and the USA entered the war.
- Narrator is Charles Wheeler.
- Dunkirk (2004, 3 Episodes, 176 minutes, 16:9 Anamorphic, 1 Disc).
- Docudrama on the evacuation from Dunkirk.
- War of the Century: When Hitler Fought Stalin (1999, 4 Episodes, 190 minutes, 4:3 Fullscreen, 1 Disc).
- Documentary on the Russo-German War.
- Battle of the Atlantic (2002, 3 Episodes, 146 minutes, 16:9 Anamorphic, 1 Disc).
- Documentary on the U-boats and the Atlantic convoys.
- Horror in the East: Japan and the Atrocities of World War II (2000, 2 Episodes, 98 minutes, 4:3 Fullscreen, 1 Disc).
- Documentary on the Japanese Army’s atrocities in the Asia-Pacific war and why the Japanese fought to the death.
- Supplements on the Indian Army and the Burma War.
- Battlefields (2001, 4 Episodes, 194 minutes, 16:9 Anamorphic, 1 Disc).
- Documentary on El Alamein, Monte Cassino, the Battle of Arnhem and RAF Bomber Command [Episode Name: “Bomber”] on the firebombing of German cities. Presenter is Prof. Richard Holmes.
- D-Day 6.6.1944 (2004, 2 Episodes, 90 minutes, 16:9 Anamorphic, 1 Disc).
- Docudrama on the events surrounding D-Day.
- D-Day to Berlin (2004, 3 Episodes, 150 minutes, 16:9 Anamorphic, 1 Disc)
- Docudrama on the breakout from Normandy, Operation Market Garden, the Battle of the Bulge and the German surrender. Presenter is Sean Bean.
- Auschwitz: The Nazis and the ‘Final Solution’ (2005, 6 Episodes, 300 minutes, 16:9 Anamorphic, 2 Discs).
- “Dramatised documentary” on the Nazis’ conceptualisation and implementation of the Final Solution.
Production & Filming Details
- Release Date: 1989 to 2005.
- Rating: 15.
- Running Time: variable.
- Country: UK.
- Language: English.