A Newsreel History of the Third Reich shows segments from the wartime German weekly newsreels, Die Deutsche Wochenschau, during World War II.
Also known as A Newsreel History of the Third Reich at War and Through Enemy Eyes: A Newsreel History of the Third Reich at War.
- DISK 1: 14 March 1940 to 23 May 1940:
- NEWSREEL 497: Ice Show for Soldiers in Berlin; Hitler Calls for Greatest Victory in German History; German Army Captures First British Soldiers.
- NEWSREEL 499: Mussolini and Hitler Meet at Brenner Pass; Admiral Raeder Greets Returning U-Boat Crew.
- NEWSREEL 502: Germany Invades Denmark and Norway; Danish Troops Ordered to Cease Resistance; Oslo Captured by German Troops.
- NEWSREEL 505: Rudolf Hess Lauds German Socialism; German Troops Push Deep into Norway; British Naval Convoy Retreats From Namsos.
- NEWSREEL 506: German Invasion of West is Launched; Luxembourg and Belgian Borders Crossed; Blown Bridges Hamper Progress in Holland; Troops Cross Albert Canal by Raft; Maastricht Bridgehead Taken by Germans.
- NEWSREEL 507: Paratroopers Dropped Over Holland; SS Leibstandarte Link-up With Paratroopers in Rotterdam; Fort Eben Emael Captured in Belgium; Guderian’s Panzers Breach the Maginot Line.
- DISK 2: 27 June 1940 to 07 August 1940:
- NEWSREEL 512: Alsace-Lorraine Reclaimed by Germany; Marshal Pétain Agrees to German Armistice Terms; German Troops Parade in Paris; Franco-German Cease-fire Signed in Compiègne.
- NEWSREEL 513: Germany’s Endless Columns Stream Into Conquered France; National Socialist Welfare Aids French Civilian Refugees; Liberating German POWs; French POWs: the Black Brothers of the French Infantry ; German Engineers Spearhead French Reconstruction; Back to Normal in Amsterdam and Brussels; Publishing Westfront in Paris; Parisian Crowds Hear German Peace Terms; Hitler Visits Parisian Landmarks; Fortifying Europe against British Attacks; Germany s Navy Prepares for War with Britain.
- NEWSREEL 514: Air Defence Drills Staged for King George VI in England; Hitler Greets Victorious Troops in Alsace-Lorraine; The Inseparable Bond between Führer and Soldiers; Hitler and Entourage Visit Strasbourg Cathedral; Hitler Inspects Shattered Maginot Line; The Rhine: firmly in German Hands ; Hitler’s Return to Berlin: Jubilant Germans Greet the Führer; Preparing the Celebration in Berlin; Surging Berliners Salute Hitler’s Motorcade Procession; Hitler and Göring Review Joyous Crowds at Chancellery.
- NEWSREEL 516: Italy’s Role in Defeating France: Skirmishes on Alpine Front and French Rivera; Mussolini Inspects Alpine Front; Italian Navy Patrols Mediterranean; Italian Fighters in East Africa; Gibraltar: Britain s Mediterranean Choke-point ; Fear Grips the British Empire: Hong Kong; Britain’s Crimes at Lorient; German-French Cooperation in Rebuilding Occupied France; Germans Evacuees Return Home to Merzig; Hitler’s 19 July Reichstag Address: Churchill’s Last Chance for Peace; Joyful Berlin Crowds Greet Returning Wehrmacht Division; Goebbels and General Fromm Hail Victorious Soldiers.
- NEWSREEL 518: Sport and Exercise for the German Girls League; 1940 German National Art Show Opens in Munich; German Industry and Military Might: Manufacturing Panzers; On the Job: Exercise Programmes Prevent Worker Injury; RAF Bombing Raid on Hamburg ; France’s Aggressive Designs Exposed; German Technicians Rebuild France; Everyday English Routines Resume in Channel Islands; U-Boots Return from Battle; Dönitz Awards Iron Cross; Luftwaffe Reconnaissance Missions; Montage of German Air Strikes over England.
A Newsreel History of the Third Reich Series
You can find a full index and overview of A Newsreel History of the Third Reich here.
Production & Filming Details
- Release Date: 1993 (original release, US) and 25 July 2006 (re-release, DVD Premiere, US).
- Rating: Unknown.
- Running Time: minutes.
- Country: Germany.
- Language: German and English (subtitles).