A Newsreel History of the Third Reich shows segments from the wartime German weekly newsreels, Die Deutsche Wochenschau, during World War II.
Also known as A Newsreel History of the Third Reich at War and Through Enemy Eyes: A Newsreel History of the Third Reich at War.
- DISK 1: 07 May 1941 to 04 July 1941:
- NEWSREEL 557: Rudolf Hess Presents Awards at a Messerschmitt Factory; Hitler Speaks in Berlin’s Sportpalast and in the Reichstag; Afrika Korps Units Converge on Tobruk; Ancient Battle Site of Thermopylae in German Hands; Occupation Troops in Athens; Crossing the Gulf of Patras into Peloponnesus.
- NEWSREEL 561: Rommel Meets with Italian General Gariboldi at the Tobruk Front; Tank Battles in Cyrenaica; Luftwaffe Units Prepare to Invade Crete. (Operation Mercury); German Paratroops invade Crete; German Mountain Infantry and Paratroopers Pursue the Enemy; Luftwaffe General Student Salutes Victorious Paratroopers.
- NEWSREEL 562: Hitler Receives Croatia’s Head of State Ante Pavelic; New Alsace SA Units in Strassburg are Sworn-in; Heavy Bombing Raid on Birmingham; Port of Canea Captured in Crete; The Swastika Flies over Crete; Afrika Korps Soldiers Visit a Bedouin Camp.
- NEWSREEL 564: Ceremonies of Croatia’s Entry into the Tripartite Pact; Rommel Awards the Iron Cross to Italian General Gariboldi; Luftwaffe Bombs British Munition Ships in Front of Tobruk; Germany Attacks Soviet Union. (Operation Barbarossa); Wehrmacht Units Advance Toward Kaunas, Lithuania; Luftwaffe Attacks Strategic Targets in Soviet Territory.
- NEWSREEL 565: German Troops Arrive in Finland; Fortress Kaunas Taken by German Troops; Swift Advance Toward Minsk; Two Soviet Armies Encircled near Bialystok; Soviet Citadel of Brest-Litovsk Captured; Bedraggled Soviet Prisoners shown.
- DISK 2: 10 July 1941 to 06 August 1941:
- NEWSREEL 566: Bavarian Mountain Infantry Capture Lemberg (Lvov) after Heavy Fighting; Ukrainian People Greet German Soldiers as Liberators; Soviet Atrocities in Lemberg are Depicted; Jewish GPU Agents are Turned over to German Forces; 70,000 Soviet Troops Surrounded near Minsk; Heavy Battles Rage in Lithuania; Street Fighting in Libau (Liepaja), Latvia.
- NEWSREEL 567: Volunteers from all over Europe Join the Fight against Bolshevism; Finno-German Soldiers Capture the Stronghold of Salla; Romanian Troops March into Bessarabia; Strong Soviet Defence Encountered in the Kiev Salient; Soviet Armies Surrounded in Bialystok-Minsk Region, 325,000 Surrender; The Highly-touted Stalin Line Breached at many Key Points; German Troops Capture Riga; Mechanised Forces Attack Toward Leningrad.
- NEWSREEL 569: Volunteers from Denmark, Spain and Italy Depart to Germany; German Destroyers Attack Soviet Patrol Boats near Murmansk; A Bridgehead established Across the Dnieper River; Hungarian and Slovakian Troops Advance Deeper into Ukraine; Heavy Combat in Vitebsk, Polatsk and Smolensk Areas; First Luftwaffe Bombing Raid on Moscow.
- NEWSREEL 570: Hitler Visits the Eastern Front; After Heavy Fighting Bessarabia Freed From Soviet Occupation; Vinnitsa and Mogilev Taken by German and Hungarian Troops; Smolensk Captured After Heavy Street Fighting; Scenes of Soviet Paradise in Ramshackle Smolensk; Waffen-SS in Combat Northeast of Lake Peipus; Luftwaffe Fighters and Flak Shoot Down Numerous Soviet Planes.
A Newsreel History of the Third Reich Series
You can find a full index and overview of A Newsreel History of the Third Reich here.
Production & Filming Details
- Release Date: 1993 (original release, US) and 25 July 2006 (re-release, DVD Premiere, US).
- Rating: Unknown.
- Running Time: minutes.
- Country: Germany.
- Language: German and English (subtitles).