A Newsreel History of the Third Reich shows segments from the wartime German weekly newsreels, Die Deutsche Wochenschau, during World War II.
Also known as A Newsreel History of the Third Reich at War and Through Enemy Eyes: A Newsreel History of the Third Reich at War.
- DISK 1: 13 August 1941 to 24 September 1941:
- NEWSREEL 571: Volunteer Legions From France, Flanders and Denmark Join the Crusade Against Bolshevism; Masses of Soviet Soldiers Captured in Ukraine; Wehrmacht rapidly advances on all Eastern Fronts; German Troops reach Gulf of Finland; Soviets are Routed from the Baltic States; Luftwaffe Bombing Raids in the Lake Ilmen Area.
- NEWSREEL 573: German Planes Attack the Port of Murmansk; Romanian Troops March on Odessa; Panzer Units Reach the Black Sea Port of Nikolayev; Battle of Gomel – 90,000 Soviet Prisoners Taken; Heavy Combat Along the St. Petersburg – Moscow Railroad; Novgorod Captured by German Assault Troops.
- NEWSREEL 574: New U-boats Launched to Reinforce the Atlantic Front; Admiral Dönitz Decorates Victorious U-boat Commanders; Narva and Luga Fall to Germans; Wehrmacht Troops Advance to Leningrad; Mussolini and Hitler Tour the Eastern Front; Waffen-SS Forces Sweep into the Port of Kherson; After Fierce Resistance Germans Capture Gomel.
- NEWSREEL 577: Stukas Destroy Bridges in the Murmansk Area; Finnish Troops Liberate Viipuri (Vyborg), Old Capital of Karelia; German Troops Approach the Outskirts of Leningrad; Four Soviet Armies Encircled by Guderian’s and Von Kleist’s Panzer Armies; Heavy Fighting Rage for the Cities of Kremenchug and Chernigov; German Troops Fight their Way into Kiev.
- DISK 2: 01 October 1941 to 20 November 1941:
- NEWSREEL 578: Daring Invasion of the Islands of Ösel (Saaremaa) and Moon (Muhu) in the Gulf of Riga; German Forces Converge on Leningrad from all Directions; Italian and Romanian Troops at the Gates of Odessa; Kiev, the Capital of Ukraine, Liberated from Bolshevik Terror; The Encirclement of Four Soviet Armies in the Kiev Area nets 665,000 Prisoners.
- NEWSREEL 579: Goebbels Opens the Winter Relief Fund Drive Rally in Berlin’s Sportpalast; Hitler Speaks at the Rally and Blasts Warcriminal Plutocrats and Bolsheviks; Mop-up Operations in the Island of Ösel; German Artillery Pulverises Leningrad – the Siege Begins; Army and Waffen-SS Units Advance on Valday Hills, Source Waters of the Volga River; Aftermath of the Battle in the Kiev Front – Endless Lines of Soviet Prisoners; U-boat Action in the Battle of the Atlantic.
- NEWSREEL 583: Italy’s Foreign Minister Count Ciano Visits Hitler at his Wolfsschanze Headquarters.; Finnish Divisions Advance South of Lakes Ladoga and Onega.; Knee-deep Mud Hampers Supply Convoys in the Leningrad Area.; Soviet Stronghold of Kaluga captured by German Troops.; The Historic Battlefield of Borodino Penetrated by Waffen-SS and General Hoeppner’s Panzers.; In the Southern Sector of the Front German Infantry Advance on Kharkov.
- NEWSREEL 585: Mop-up Operations in Karelia.; Winter Clothes and Supplies Reach the Eastern Front.; Attack on Soviet Outer Defence Ring near Moscow.; The Soviet Industrial Hub of Kharkov Captured by the Wehrmacht.; German Advances in the Crimean Peninsula.; Victory Parade of Odessa Veterans in Bucharest.; General Rommel Decorates Valorous Afrika Korps Soldiers.; Naval Action on the English Channel.
A Newsreel History of the Third Reich Series
You can find a full index and overview of A Newsreel History of the Third Reich here.
Production & Filming Details
- Release Date: 1993 (original release, US) and 25 July 2006 (re-release, DVD Premiere, US).
- Rating: Unknown.
- Running Time: minutes.
- Country: Germany.
- Language: German and English (subtitles).