A Newsreel History of the Third Reich shows segments from the wartime German weekly newsreels, Die Deutsche Wochenschau, during World War II.
Also known as A Newsreel History of the Third Reich at War and Through Enemy Eyes: A Newsreel History of the Third Reich at War.
- DISK 1: 26 November 1941 to 09 February 1942:
- NEWSREEL 586: State Funeral of Ernst Udet, Chief Air Inspector General of the Luftwaffe.; Heavy Artillery Pounds Strategic Targets in Leningrad.; Important Rail Junction of Tikhvin Captured by German Troops.; Deep Frost Impedes the Advance to Moscow.; Infantry Units Reach the Crimean Capital Simferopol.; German Troops Enter the Historic City of Yalta on the Black Sea.; Stukas Attack Enemy Tanks and Troop Concentrations on the Libyan-Egyptian Border.
- NEWSREEL 588: Grossdeutschland Regiment in Action near Moscow.; Reich Marshal Göring in Conference with France’s Marshal Petain.; One of the two U-boats that sank British Carrier Ark Royal Returns to Port.; German and British Fighter Planes in a Dogfight over the English Channel.; Colonel General Guderian’s Panzers Attack Southwest of Moscow.; Italian and German Troops Battle the Brits and New Zealanders in North Africa.
- NEWSREEL 592: Enthusiastic German People Donate Warm Clothing for the Soldiers on Eastern Front.; Finnish Troops Counterattack in East Karelia.; Skis are a Necessity in Snowbound Eastern Front.; In Leningrad Sector German Infantry Prevents a Bolshevik Breakout over the Neva River.; Heavy Combat near Sevastopol in Crimea.
- NEWSREEL 594: Reich Foreign Minister Ribbentrop Received by Hungarian Regent Horthy in Budapest.; The Führer Awards Oak Leaves to the Knight’s Cross to Waffen-SS General Sepp Dietrich and other Officers.; National Socialist Women at Work Making Camouflage Suits for Winter Warfare.; German Mine Sweepers in Action on the English Channel.; Siege of Leningrad – Soldiers Routine Activities Behind Front Lines.; Heaviest Artillery Pounds the port- and Citadel of Sevastopol.
- NEWSREEL 596: Hitler Speaks to the German People on the Ninth Anniversary of his Rise to Power.; General Muñoz Grandes, Commander of Spanish Blue Division, Receives the Iron Cross, First Class.; Supply Lines Operate Around the Clock in Cities Behind Front Lines of the Eastern Front.; German and Romanian Troops Attack Sevastopol and Feodosiya in the Crimean Peninsula.; U-boats Deploy Against the USA.; German and Italian Troops on the Road to Benghazi, Libya.
- DISK 2: 25 February 1942 to 16 April 1942:
- NEWSREEL 599: Training at Various German Officer Candidate Schools.; Wintry Woes in Snowbound Woods of Karelia.; Continued Fighting on the Eastern Front.; Colonel General Rommel on the Outskirts of Benghazi.; German U-boats in Action off the Coast of New York.; Precision Teamwork of Luftwaffe Fighters and Kriegsmarine Units on the English Channel.
- NEWSREEL 600: Japanese military operations in the Pacific (Japanese Newsreel Footage Included); Hitler Decorates General Model at the Wolf’s Lair headquarters. Scenes of Russian Winter; German and Romanian Troops Surround Sevastopol. The Luftwaffe bombs Malta;
- NEWSREEL 602: Aftermath of British Bombing Raid on Paris; Hitler Opens the Memorial Day Festivities in Berlin; Winter Warfare in the Donets Region in Russia; Armed Forces Day Celebrated in Berlin.
- NEWSREEL 605: The British Naval Raid on the German-held port of Saint-Nazaire; German troops in action on the Central Sector of the Eastern Front; German raider in the Indian Ocean; British Air Attack on Lübeck destroys the Lübeck cathedral.
- NEWSREEL 606: Wilhelm Fürtwangler conducts the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra at an Armaments Plant in Berlin; Reich Marshal Göring Congratulates Field Marshal Milch on his 50th Birthday; German troops advance into the Kerch Peninsula in the eastern Crimea; Italian and German Navies in the Mediterranean; Tank Battles in Cyrenaica, Libya.
A Newsreel History of the Third Reich Series
You can find a full index and overview of A Newsreel History of the Third Reich here.
Production & Filming Details
- Release Date: 1993 (original release, US) and 25 July 2006 (re-release, DVD Premiere, US).
- Rating: Unknown.
- Running Time: minutes.
- Country: Germany.
- Language: German and English (subtitles).