A Newsreel History of the Third Reich shows segments from the wartime German weekly newsreels, Die Deutsche Wochenschau, during World War II.
Also known as A Newsreel History of the Third Reich at War and Through Enemy Eyes: A Newsreel History of the Third Reich at War.
- DISK 1: 22 April 1942 to 11 June 1942:
- NEWSREEL 607: Hitler’s 53rd Birthday Festivities; Luftwaffe Bombing Raid on Malta; Island of Suursaari in the Gulf of Finland Occupied by German and Finnish Troops; The Continuing Battle for Leningrad; Dnieper Power Plant Rebuilt by Todt Organisation Personnel.
- NEWSREEL 609: Gen. Franco Reviews a Parade in Madrid; Hitler and Mussolini meet in Salzburg and at the Berghof; German Armament Workers Honoured on May Day; German Soldiers and Horses Struggle Against Mud and Flooding in Russia; Luftwaffe FW190 Fighter Planes in Action over the English Channel.
- NEWSREEL 610: Reichsleiter Alfred Rosenberg receives Farmers from Ukraine, Belorussia, and Russia; Fight against Soviet Partisans in the Crimea; JU 52 Cargo Planes Ferry Supplies to Forward Units on the Eastern Front. U-boat Action in the Atlantic.
- NEWSREEL 611: Romanian Troops Parade in Bucharest; Captain Topp’s U-boat Returns to Port after Sinking 7 Allied Freighters; German and Finnish Troops in Action on the Murmansk Front; After Heavy fighting Kerch in the Crimea Captured by German Troops.
- NEWSREEL 614: Hitler Flies to Finland and Meets with Finnish President Ritti and Field Marshal Mannerheim; Massed Soviet Tanks and Infantry Attack German Positions near Kharkov; German, Italian, Romanian and Hungarian Troops Counterattack and Surround 3 Soviet Armies; Nearly a Quarter of Million Soviet Soldiers Surrender.
- DISK 2: 18 June 1942 to 15 July 1942:
- NEWSREEL 615: Funeral Services for Assassinated SS General Reinhard Heydrich in Prague and Berlin; Capture of Bir Hacheim by Afrika Korps; Siege of Sevastopol – Last Pictures of a German Cameraman Killed in Action; After Bitter Fighting, German and Romanian troops surround Sevastopol.
- NEWSREEL 617: In North Africa Rommel Directs an Attack on the British 8th Army; Fierce Fighting in the Gazala Line – in 10 Days the British Lose over 10,000 men captured and 550 Tanks; German and Italian Troops Launch an Attack on British-held Tobruk; Tobruk Capitulates – Field Marshal Kesselring Enters the Captured Fortress; Advance guard reaches the Port Area of Sevastopol.
- NEWSREEL 618: Volkhov Front: Soviets’ Failed Attempt to Free Leningrad; Battle of Sevastopol; Africa After Tobruk Victory; Capture of Mersa Matruh.
- NEWSREEL 619: Munich Art Exhibit; Advance Toward the Don; U-Boat Homecomings; Capture of Voronezh.
A Newsreel History of the Third Reich Series
You can find a full index and overview of A Newsreel History of the Third Reich here.
Production & Filming Details
- Release Date: 1993 (original release, US) and 25 July 2006 (re-release, DVD Premiere, US).
- Rating: Unknown.
- Running Time: minutes.
- Country: Germany.
- Language: German and English (subtitles).