Gracie! is a biopic television film on the life of Gracie Fields, with Jane Horrocks playing Fields and Tom Hollander her husband Monty Banks. It covers her career before the Second World War and the decline in her popularity during the war.
In 1939 Gracie Fields, the ‘Queen of Hearts’, is at the height of her success as a singer and actress and the whole nation seems to wish her a speedy recovery from cervical cancer. When World War Two breaks out, Gracie sings for the troops despite poor health, to the dismay of her fussy husband, film director Monty Banks, an Italian, born Mario Bianchi. With Italy’s entry into the war Monty is in danger of being interned so Gracie consents to his moving to America whilst she tours Canada, fund-raising for the war effort. She is accused of deserting the country which made her famous and booed offstage, though she later tours battlefields as a singer. With the war over she regains popularity, performing ‘Take Me To Your Heart Again’ at the London Palladium. Banks dies in 1950 and, though still a successful singer, Gracie never regains her pre-war iconic status.
- Gracie Fields – Jane Horrocks.
- Monty Banks – Tom Hollander.
- Harry Parr-Davies, Gracie’s accompanist – David Dawson.
- Fred Stansfield, Gracie’s father – Tony Haygarth.
- Jenny Stansfield, Gracie’s mother – Ellie Haddington.
- Basil Dean – Alistair Petrie.
- Hollander, nominated for best supporting actor, British Academy Television Awards 2010.
Production & Filming Details
- Brian Percival.
- Angie Daniell … line producer.
- Anne Pivcevic … executive producer.
- Janet Tyler … producer.
- Nick Vivian.
- Rob Lane … music composer (as Robert Lane).
- David Katznelson … director of photography.
- Adam Recht.
- BBC Productions.
- BBC Four (2009) (USA) (TV).
- Drama (2015) (UK) (TV).
- LaLa TV (2012) (Japan) (TV).
- Release Date: 23 November 2009 (UK).
- Running Time: 87 minutes.
- Country: UK.
- Language: English.