The River of Souls is the third feature-length film set in the Babylon 5 universe.
After a short absence from Babylon 5, Michael Garibaldi returns to the station to meet with a person in his employ. An archaeologist in search of a means of immortality brings his most recent find to Babylon 5 – an orb containing one billion souls of an extinct race. Within days, a Soul Hunter (played by Martin Sheen) arrives claiming the orb was stolen from his people. With the assistance of the archaeologist, the souls break free from their captivity in the orb and bring havoc to the station.
- Jerry Doyle as Michael Garibaldi.
- Tracy Scoggins as Captain Elizabeth Lochley.
- Jeff Conaway as Security Chief Zack Allan.
- Richard Biggs as Stephen Franklin.
- Ian McShane as Dr. Robert Bryson.
- Martin Sheen as Soul Hunter.
- Josh Coxx as Lieutenant David Corwin (credited as Joshua Cox).
- Stuart Pankin as James Riley.
- Joel Brooks as Jacob Mayhew.
- Jeff Doucette as 2nd Man.
- Jeff Silverman as Mr. Clute.
- Wayne Alexander as Soul One.
- Bob Amaral as Customer.
- Beege Barkette as Woman (as Beece Barkett).
- T.J. Hoban as Male Hologram.
- Ray Proscia as Klaus.
- Nikki Ziering as Female Hologram.
- Jean St. James as Sheila.
- Martin Sheen was originally offered the role of Dr. Bryson but after reading the script, he asked to play the Soul Hunter instead.
- The Soul Hunter make-up, first seen in Babylon 5: Soul Hunter (1994), was altered to make Martin Sheen’s face more recognisable.
- In a 2004 interview with The Independent, Ian McShane stated that he wished that he had turned down the role of Dr. Robert Bryson as he had struggled with the technical dialogue and found looking at Martin Sheen, who was wearing an eye in the middle of his forehead, to be the most embarrassing experience that he had ever had while acting.
- He also added that, during filming, he began making up his own technobabble dialogue which displeased the producers.
Production & Filming Details
- Janet Greek.
- Skip Beaudine … co-producer.
- John Copeland … producer.
- Susan Corbin … associate producer (as Susan Norkin).
- Douglas Netter … executive producer.
- J. Michael Straczynski … executive producer.
- J. Michael Stracynski.
- Christopher Franke.
- Fred V. Murphy … (as Frederick V. Murphy II).
- Suzanne Sternlicht … (as Suzanne Chambre Sternlicht).
- Babylonian Productions.
- Chum Television (all media).
- TNT (all media).
- Varus Video (1998) (Russia) (VHS).
- Warner Bros. (all media).
- Warner Home Video (2004) (Netherlands) (DVD).
- Warner Home Video (2004) (Germany) (DVD).
- Warner Home Vídeo (Brazil) (VHS).
- Release Date: 08 November 1998.
- Rating: 12.
- Running Time: 94 minutes.
- Country: US.
- Language: English.