We Joined the Navy is a 1962 British comedy film directed by Wendy Toye and starring Kenneth More, Lloyd Nolan, Joan O’Brien, Derek Fowlds, Graham Crowden, Esma Cannon and John Le Mesurier.
Produced by Daniel M. Angel, it was based on the 1959 novel of the same name by John Winton a former Royal Navy lieutenant commander.
Also known as We Are in the Navy Now (TV title, US).
Lieutenant Commander Robert Badger is an excellent naval officer with one major problem. He speaks the truth at the most inopportune times that lead him to being transferred from ship, to shore, and then to instruct at the Royal Naval College. When his remarks are repeated by one of his students to his father, an anti-military Member of Parliament he has one last chance. He and three problem midshipmen are sent as exchange officers to the flagship of the United States Sixth Fleet. Their antics set back Anglo-American relations until they go ashore to a nation in a midst of a revolution.
- Kenneth More as Lieutenant Commander Robert Badger.
- Lloyd Nolan as Vice Admiral Ryan.
- Joan O’Brien as Lieutenant Carol Blair.
- Mischa Auer as Colonel & President.
- Jeremy Lloyd as Dewberry Jr.
- Dinsdale Landen as Bowles.
- Derek Fowlds as Carson.
- Denise Warren as Collette.
- John Le Mesurier as George Dewberry Sr.
- Lally Bowers as Cynthia Dewberry, his wife.
- Laurence Naismith as Admiral Blake.
- Andrew Cruickshank as Admiral Filmer.
- Walter Fitzgerald as Admiral Thomas.
- John Phillips as Rear Admiral.
- Ronald Leigh-Hunt as Commander Royal Navy.
- Arthur Lovegrove as Chief Petty Officer Froud.
- Brian Wilde as Petty Officer Gibbons.
- David Warner as Sailor Painting Ship.
- John Barrard as Consul.
- Esma Cannon as Consul’s Wife.
- Sean Kelly as Sinjett.
- Marie France as Francoise.
- Alexis Kanner as Gerrit.
- Warren Mitchell as ‘Honest’ Marcel.
- Kenneth Griffith as Orator.
- Neil McCarthy as the Sergeant.
- Tutte Lemkow as the Corporal.
- Dirk Bogarde as Dr Simon Sparrow.
- Sid James as Dance Instructor.
- Michael Bentine as Psychologist.
- Graham Crowden as Naval Officer.
- Guy Standeven as American Naval Officer.
- Andrew Sachs as US Seaman.
- Rodney Bewes as Recruitment interviewee.
- David Warner as Sailor painting ship.
- Richard Vernon as Government Official.
- Wanda Ventham as Dartmouth Girl.
A Region 2 DVD of We Joined the Navy was released by Network on 16 February 2015. The disc features a 2.35:1 anamorphic transfer.
- The film was shot on location in Villefranche-sur-Mer, near Nice and Monaco, on board the Royal Naval College, Dartmouth, and USS Springfield as well as ABPC Elstree Studios.
- The film’s sets were designed by the art director John Howell.
- It was shot in CinemaScope by cinematographer Otto Heller.
Production & Filming Details
- Wendy Toye.
- Daniel M. Angel … producer.
- Vivian Cox … associate producer (as Vivian A. Cox).
- Howard Dimsdale … (screenplay by) (originally as Arthur Dales).
- John Winton … (based on the novel by).
- Ron Grainer.
- Otto Heller … director of photography.
- Richard Best.
- Associated British Picture Corporation (ABPC) (presents) (as Associated British Pictures Corporation Limited).
- Angel Productions (as A Daniel M. Angel Production).
- Warner-Pathé Distributors (1962) (UK) (theatrical) (released through) (as Warner-Pathe Distributors Ltd).
- Kontinental-Film (1963) (Norway) (theatrical).
- Warner Bros. Television (1965) (USA) (TV).
- Network Distributing (2015) (UK) (DVD).
- Release Date: 22 November 1962.
- Running Time: 105 minutes.
- Rating: PG.
- Country: UK.
- Language: English.