William the Conqueror (French: Guillaume, la jeunesse du conquérant, lit. ’William the Young Conqueror’) is a 2015 French historical film directed by Fabien Drugeon.
The film is about William the Conqueror when he is about to embark from Dives-sur-Mer to conquer England in the year 1066. In the event that he would not return alive, William introduced his son Robert to his loyal barons to receive the ducal throne heritage.
We then have an extensive flashback. William’s father Duke Robert declares William his heir before departing for a pilgrimage to Jerusalem. The barons swear loyalty. However, Robert dies and William, still a child, has to flee.
We then see a long sequence with William as a fugitive. Finally, as a young man, he persuades the King of France to lend him an army. He wins a crucial battle and becomes Duke.
During the 1066 sections of the film, William tells a friend that it is not the weather that is delaying him. At the end, he gets a messenger from Norway. Presumably this tells him that Harold Hardrada is invading England, which will pull Harold Godwinson north and make the conquest much more likely to succeed.
- Dan Bronchinson as William of Normandy (French: Guillaume de Normandie), later William the Conqueror.
- Geoffroy Lidvan as Osbern the Steward (French: Osbern de Crépon).
- Eric Rulliat as Renouf.
- Thomas Debaene as William FitzOsbern (French: Wilhelm Fitz Osbern).
- Pierrick Billard as Gilbert, Count of Brionne (French: Gilbert de Brionne).
Production & Filming Details
- Frederic Compain.
- Isaac Partouche … producer: digital special effects: Solidanim.
- Edouard Lussan … (from an original project by).
- bruno de Sa Moreira … (from an original project by) (as Bruno De Sa Moreira).
- Jacques Dubuisson … (written by).
- Frédéric Compain … (written in collaboration with).
- Fanny Burdino … (written with the collaboration of).
- Floran Legac … (as Guitar Floran Lecac) (music).
- Pierre Lemarchand … (music).
- David Quesemand … director of photography (as David Quésemand).
- Yann Coquart.
- Arte France Cinéma (presents) (as Arte France).
- Les Films d’Ici (presents).
- Normandy Productions (in coproduction with).
- Digital Media Rights (2014) (USA) (all media).
- YuYu (2015) (USA) (DVD).
- Release Date:
- Running time: 54 minutes.
- Rating: Unknown.
- Country: France.
- Language: French.