The Monocled Mutineer is a British television series made by the BBC in 1986 and shown on BBC1.
The first episode being transmitted on 31 August 1986, intended to head BBC1’s autumn season of drama.
Viewed by about ten million people, the series caused some controversy at the time, as it drove right-wing newspapers to use it as an example of what they saw as a left-wing bias of the BBC.
The four-part serial, written by Alan Bleasdale and directed by Jim O’Brien, was an adaptation of the 1978 book of the same name by William Allison and John Fairley.
A dramatisation of the life of Percy Toplis, deserter from the British Army during the First World War, it starred Paul McGann in the title role and was Bleasdale’s first historical drama, and his first adaptation of someone else’s work for television.
- Paul McGann as Percy Toplis (4 episodes).
- Bill Fellows as Geordie (3 episodes).
- Matthew Marsh as Charles Strange (3 episodes).
- Anthony Calf as Guinness (3 episodes).
- Jane Wood as Annie Webster (2 episodes).
- Ron Donachie as Strachan (2 episodes).
- Timothy West as Brigadier General Andrew Thomson (2 episodes).
- Dave Hill as Frank Webster (2 episodes).
- Penelope Wilton as Lady Angela Forbes (2 episodes).
- Jerome Flynn as Franny (2 episodes).
- Cherie Lunghi as Dorothy (2 episodes).
- David Allister as General Asser (2 episodes).
- Geoff Morrell as Aussie Gas Mask (2 episodes).
- Louis Mellis as Scots Gas Mask (2 episodes).
- Philip McGough as Edwin Woodhall (2 episodes).
- Patrick Doyle as Gilzean (2 episodes).
- Aran Bell as Fellows (2 episodes).
- Billy Clarke as Dorothy (2 episodes).
- Terry Cundall as Bertam (2 episodes).
- Peter Hutchinson as Norman (2 episodes).
- Ted Richards as PC Fulton (2 episodes).
- Richard Ireson as Inspector Richie (2 episodes).
- David Miller as Spruce (2 episodes).
- Jim Carter as Spencer (1 episode).
The Monocled Mutineer Series
- Episode 01: The Making of a Hero.
- Episode 02: Before the Shambles.
- Episode 03: When the Hurly-Burly’s Done.
- Episode 04: A Dead Man on Leave.
Production & Filming Details
- Creator(s): Alan Bleasdale.
- Director(s): Jim O’Brien.
- Producer(s): Richard Broke and Peter Wolfes.
- Writer(s): William Allison, Alan Bleasdale, and John Fairley.
- Music: George Fenton.
- Cinematography: Andrew Dunn, Jeremy Humphries, and Robert Southam.
- Editor(s): John Stothart, Tariq Anwar, and Julian Miller.
- Production: BBC.
- Distributor(s): BBC.
- Original Network: BBC One.
- Release Date: 31 August 1986 to 21 September 1986.
- Running Time: 311 minutes (total running time).
- Country: UK.
- Language: English.