A 2006 documentary series about World War One directed by Bruce Vigar.
Strong feelings of nationalism throughout Europe prior to the war created an atmosphere where war was imminent.
The spark that finally ignited the flame was the assassination of Archduke Francis Ferdinand of Austria on 28 June 1914.
Within two months France, Russia, Germany and Great Britain were entrenched in what would become five years of conflict, resulting in massive carnage and the deaths of millions.
This series examines the conflict year by year, highlighting significant turning points in the war until its end in 1918.
The Great War: The Complete History of World War I Series
- Episode 01: 1914: To Arms.
- Episode 02: 1915: Death in Foreign Lands.
- Episode 03: 1916: Stalemate.
- Episode 04: 1917: The Breaking of Armies.
- Episode 05: 1918: Germany’s Last Gamble.
- Episode 06: Technology: Air Power.
- Episode 07: Technology: Land Warfare.
- Episode 08: Technology: Sea Power.
Production & Filming Details
- Narrator(s): Patrick Boniface.
- Director(s): Bruce Vigar.
- Producer(s): Bruce Vigar.
- Editor(s): Gary Boulton and Bruce Vigar.
- Production: Green Umbrella Ltd.
- Distributor(s): Green Umbrella Ltd.
- Release Date: 13 June 2006
- Running time: 50 minutes (per episode).
- Country: UK.
- Language: English.