Washington is a 2020 American television miniseries directed by Roel Reiné.
The three-part miniseries, which premiered on 16 February 2020 on History, chronicles the life of George Washington, the first President of the United States.
Washington tells the story of how a fatherless young soldier full of personal ambition becomes a leader of men willing to sacrifice all for the common cause.
How a once-loyal British subject rises to battle an empire in a liberty-or-death campaign to forge a new nation. And then how, at the zenith of his power, the victorious general voluntarily steps down, becoming what King George III would call “the greatest man in the world.”
Believing his public duty complete, he heads into retirement ready to be a farmer. But with the young country on the verge of collapse, he is once again called to lead, creating the most powerful and successful democracy in history.
You may think you know George Washington, but there’s more to our preeminent founding father than you’ve been told. Washington chips away the marble to reveal the man at the heart of our nation’s story. You will never look at George Washington, or the founding of our country, the same way again.
Contributions to the series come from a wide range of prominent individuals, including Bill Clinton, Colin Powell, and several leading Washington biographers, including Pulitzer Prize winning historians: Joanne Freeman, Alan Taylor, Jon Meacham and Annette Gordon-Reed.
- Nicholas Rowe as George Washington.
- James Robinson as Alexander Hamilton.
- Nicholas Audsley as Thomas Jefferson.
- Nia Roberts as Martha Washington.
- Hainsley Lloyd Bennett as William ‘Billy’ Lee.
- Josh Taylor as Henry Knox.
- Ciarán Owens as Benedict Arnold.
- Dan Ursu as Jumonville.
- Shawn Beaver-Hawman as The Half-King.
- Radu Andrei Micu as Nathanael Greene.
- Daniel Crossley as James Madison.
- Frank Lammers as John Adams.
- Jeremy Berges as Marquis de Lafayette.
- Kieron Jecchinis as Horatio Gates.
- Colin Mace as General William Howe.
- James Carroll Jordan as General Charles Cornwallis.
- George Washington (1984) (miniseries).
- George Washington II: The Forging of a Nation (1986) (miniseries).
- The Crossing (2000) (Film).
- We Fight To Be Free (2006) (Film).
- Washington (2020) (documentary series).
Production & Filming Details
- Narrator(s): Jeff Daniels.
- Director(s): Matthew Ginsburg and Roel Reine.
- Producer(s): Matthew Ginsburg, Beejal Lakhavani, Salamo Levin, Roel Reine, Kristen Burns, Mary Donahue, Doris Kearns Goodwin, Tim Healy, Petra Hoebel, Beth Laski, Richard Lopez, and Courtenay Singer.
- Writer(s): Matthew Ginsburg, Jeremiah Murphy, Kristen Burns, and Ben Kaplan.
- Music: Stephen Phillips.
- Cinematography: Rolf Dekens and Roel Reine.
- Editor(s): Salamo Levin, Niccolo Roveda, Jaems Gavin Bedford, David Jakubovic, Alex Durham, Radu Ion, and Martin Singer.
- Production: Icon Films, Railsplitter Media, and Railsplitter Pictures.
- Distributor(s): History Channel.
- Release Date: 16 February 2020 to 18 February 2020.
- Running time: 60 minutes.
- Country: US.
- Language: English.