“Chapter 8: Redemption” is the eighth and final episode of the first season of the American web television series The Mandalorian.
The episode stars Pedro Pascal as The Mandalorian, a lone bounty hunter on the run with “The Child”.
It also stars Taika Waititi as the voice of IG-11, Giancarlo Esposito as Moff Gideon, Gina Carano as Cara Dune, Carl Weathers as Greef Karga, and Emily Swallow as The Armourer.
It is the first live action series in the Star Wars franchise.
While the Mandalorian, Cara Dune, and Greef Karga are trapped, IG-11 rescues the Child. The Mandalorian finds a vent into the sewers, where he hopes to find his people’s hidden stronghold. Moff Gideon gives them until nightfall to surrender, or he will order his troops to fire. The Mandalorian recognises Gideon; Gideon had been an officer of the Empire’s secret police when the Empire took over Mandalore. IG-11 arrives on a scout trooper’s bike with the Child, blasting through the stormtroopers. The Mandalorian takes down several more but is injured by Gideon. As they take cover inside, Gideon orders a trooper with a flamethrower to burn them out; the Child uses the Force to reflect the flames back and immolate the trooper. The Mandalorian and IG-11 remain behind while Dune and Karga take the Child into the sewers. IG-11 removes the Mandalorian’s helmet to treat his injuries before they join the others in the sewers.
Arriving at the Mandalorian enclave, they find it abandoned except for the Armourer, who explains that the Imperials found the enclave when the Mandalorians revealed themselves. Upon seeing the Child who saved the Mandalorian from the Mudhorn on Arvala-7, the Armourer mentions that its powers are similar to those of the Jedi, ancient enemies of the Mandalorians. She charges the Mandalorian to take the Child back to its people, wherever they might be. She carves a Mudhorn signet into his spaulder, and gives him a jetpack. While the Armourer remains behind, the Mandalorian, Dune, Karga, IG-11, and the Child escape down an underground lava river. IG-11 elects to sacrifice himself by walking into an ambush and activating his self-destruct. After they emerge from the tunnel, Gideon attacks in his TIE fighter. The Mandalorian uses his jetpack to fly up to Gideon’s fighter and plants explosives, which knock the craft out of the air; it crashes into the desert. With the Imperials seemingly dealt with, Karga invites the Mandalorian to return to the Guild, but he refuses, as he must take care of the Child. Dune elects to remain behind to work as Karga’s enforcer. The Mandalorian buries Kuiil beneath a cairn of stones and returns to his ship for the journey to come. As the Mandalorian departs Nevarro, Gideon cuts himself out of the downed fighter with the Darksaber.
- Actor Giancarlo Esposito, as well as Lucasfilm’s official Star Wars website, have identified the weapon as the Darksaber, a Mandalorian lightsaber that has appeared previously in Star Wars animated series.
- Swallow previously appeared in episodes 1 and 3, but was credited as a guest star.
- Additional guest starring actors cast for this episode include Jason Sudeikis and Adam Pally as two bike scout troopers, Aidan Bertola as young Din Djarin, Alexandra Manea as Din Djarin’s mother, Bernard Bullen as Din Djarin’s father, and Brendan Wayne as a Mandalorian warrior.
The Mandalorian Series
You can find a full index and overview of The Mandalorian here.
You can find a full index of The Mandalorian Series 01 here.
- Overview of the Star Wars Franchise.
- Overview of Star Wars Films.
- Overview of Star Wars Parodies.
- Overview of Star Wars TV Series.
- Overview of Star Wars Documentary Series.
- Overview of LEGO Star Wars.
Production & Filming Details
- Director(s): Taika Waititi.
- Producer(s): Jon Favreau.
- Writer(s): Jon Favreau.
- Cinematography: Barry Idoine.
- Editor(s): Jeff Seibenick.
- Release Date: 27 December 2019.
- Running Time: 46 minutes.
- Country: US.
- Language: English.