‘Allo ‘Allo! is a British sitcom television series created by David Croft and Jeremy Lloyd, starring Gorden Kaye, and originally broadcast on BBC One.
The sitcom focuses on the life of a French café owner in Nouvion, during the German occupation of France in the Second World War, who has to deal with problems caused by a dishonest German officer, a local French Resistance leader, a stolen painting, and a pair of trapped British airmen, while concealing from his wife the secret affairs he is having with his waitresses.
René Artois owns his own café in Nouvion, northern France, during the German occupation of World War Two. His main day-to-day concerns should be ensuring that he does not displease the local German army personnel, and ensuring his wife does not suspect his affairs with his younger waitresses. But the local leader of the Resistance declares the café is to become a safe house for the hiding of two RAF pilots, shot down and without uniforms – or a word of the French language. He is also to welcome a forger, recently busted from jail, into the café – who happens to be an old flame of his bedridden mother-in-law.
In this episode:
- The painting is referred to as The Reclining Madonna with the Big Boobies.
- In all later episodes, it is called The Fallen Madonna with the Big Boobies.
- Michelle claims to be a member of ‘Lifeline’ – a reference to the same organization in Secret Army.
- Gruber has more medals.
‘Allo ‘Allo! Series
You can find a full index and overview of ‘Allo ‘Allo! here.
Production & Filming Details
- Director(s): David Croft.
- Writer(s): David Croft and Jeremy Lloyd.
- Release Date: 30 December 1982.
- Running time: 25 to 45 minutes.
- Rating: PG.
- Country: UK.
- Language: English.