Late in World War II, the Nazis launched a bold plan to shelter armaments factories from allied bombs by building a labyrinth of protective caves. A small fortune was spent to seal them up, making them inaccessible to intruders.
Known as Das unterirdische Reich. Die geheimen Welten der Nazis (original title) and The Reich Underground (US DVD title).
Sixty years later, the two-part series provides a glimpse into awesome worlds beneath the earth that still exist in Germany, France, Poland and Norway.
Today, many of the half-built facilities have been long-forgotten. With previously unreleased film material and exclusive interviews, the fascinating and dramatic story of the Underground Reich is reconstructed when the Nazis leaders still hoped that the miracle weapons they produced would bring Germany final victory.
Production & Filming Details
- Director(s): Michael Kloft.
- Producer(s): Bernd Jacobs and Cassian von Salomon.
- Writer(s): Michael Kloft.
- Music: Clemens Winterhalter.
- Editor(s): Monika Finneisen.
- Production: Spiegel TV.
- Distributor(s): Spiegel TV (Germany).
- Release Date: 03 November 2003 (Germany) and 01 January 2004 (Amazon Prime).
- Running Time: 52 minutes (each episode).
- Rating: PG.
- Country: US.
- Language: English.