Late in World War II, the Nazis launched a bold plan to shelter armaments factories from allied bombs by building a labyrinth of protective caves. A small fortune was spent to seal them up, making them inaccessible to intruders.
Known as Das unterirdische Reich. Die geheimen Welten der Nazis (original title) and The Reich Underground (US DVD title).
Sixty years later, the two-part series provides a glimpse into awesome worlds beneath the earth that still exist in Germany, France, Poland and Norway.
After securing special permission, a team of highly qualified experts explore the sprawling tunnel systems, finding their way into manmade caverns unseen for decades. The film also documents the horrors faced by forced laborers, compelled to construct the tunnel system under the most inhuman conditions.
Production & Filming Details
- Director(s): Michael Kloft.
- Producer(s): Bernd Jacobs and Cassian von Salomon.
- Writer(s): Michael Kloft.
- Music: Clemens Winterhalter.
- Editor(s): Monika Finneisen.
- Production: Spiegel TV.
- Distributor(s): Spiegel TV (Germany).
- Release Date: 03 November 2003 (Germany) and 01 January 2004 (Amazon Prime).
- Running Time: 52 minutes (each episode).
- Rating: PG.
- Country: US.
- Language: English.