Intent to Destroy: Death, Denial, & Depiction is a 2017 documentary film directed by Joe Berlinger about the Armenian Genocide.
Filmmaker Joe Berlinger meets with historians and scholars to discuss the Armenian Genocide and the continuing denial by the Turkish government of it ever happening.
Berlinger embedded in the filming crew of The Promise (2016) to shoot Intent to Destroy. The film prominently features behind the scenes footage from The Promise, starring Oscar Isaac and Christian Bale, while incorporating historical context for the feature film.
According to The Promise actor Daniel Giménez-Cacho, an ambassador in the Turkish foreign service had contacted him and told him the Turkish government’s position that the killings in the Armenian genocide were not a genocide; his statements were featured in Intent to Destroy.
Berlinger declined an invitation to travel to Ankara, Turkey to interview officials of the Turkish government. The interview request appeared after, according to him, he requested feedback from the Turkish government. Turkish officials did not say who he would meet, and had he gone, he would not have been allowed to bring his film crew nor any recording devices. Berlinger stated “I felt like it would be a useless trip and one that was potentially dangerous, frankly.”
After its theatrical run, Intent to Destroy was acquired by Starz for television.
Intent to Destroy was nominated for an Emmy for Outstanding Historical Documentary at the 40th News and Documentary Emmy Awards.
Production & Filming Details
- Director(s): Joe Berlinger.
- Joe Berlinger … producer.
- Sam Broadwin … co-producer.
- John Crampton … producer: Bluemoon Productions.
- Brendan Crane … co-producer.
- Loren Eiferman … associate producer.
- Tina Elmo … story producer.
- Eric Esrailian … producer.
- Schuyler Finn … associate producer.
- Carla Garapedian … consulting producer.
- Elizabeth Garrett … line producer: RadicalMedia.
- Patricia L. Glaser … executive producer.
- Jennifer Helm … co-executive producer.
- Jon Kamen … executive producer.
- Anthony Mandekic … executive producer.
- Dave O’Connor … executive producer.
- Emily Osborne … line producer: RadicalMedia.
- Dale Rosenbloom … producer (as Chip Rosenbloom).
- Kim Rudolph … co-executive producer (as Kimberly Rudolph).
- Sheri Sani … executive producer.
- Dan Taylor … executive producer.
- Steven Tollen … executive producer: Gigantic Studios.
- Justin Wilkes … executive producer.
- Daniel T. Wilson … supervising producer.
- Writer(s): Joe Berlinger and Cy Christiansen.
- Music: Serj Tankian.
- Cinematography: Robert Richman (as Bob Richman).
- Distributor(s): GathrFilms (2017) (USA) (theatrical) (Theatrical On Demand).
- Release Date: 25 April 2017 (Tribeca Film Festival).
- Running Time: 115 minutes.
- Rating: Unknown.
- Country: US.
- Language: English.