Star Trek: Picard is an American web television series created for CBS All Access by Kirsten Beyer, Akiva Goldsman, Michael Chabon and Alex Kurtzman.
It is the eighth series in the Star Trek franchise and centres on the character Jean-Luc Picard.
Set at the end of the 24th century, 20 years after the events of Star Trek: Nemesis (2002), the storyline focuses on the impact of the destruction of the android Commander Data, which occurred in the climax of that film, as well as the destruction of the planet Romulus, which occurred in the 2009 film Star Trek.
Patrick Stewart is the executive producer of the series and stars as Picard, reprising his role from Star Trek: The Next Generation as well as other Star Trek media. Santiago Cabrera, Michelle Hurd, Evan Evagora, Alison Pill, Harry Treadaway, and Isa Briones also star. Several actors from previous Star Trek series also reprise their roles, including Brent Spiner, Jeri Ryan, Marina Sirtis, and Jonathan Frakes. Rumours began to circulate in June 2018, when Kurtzman began his expansion. The official announcement came in August of that year, after months of negotiations with Stewart. He had previously said that he would not return to the franchise after Nemesis. Filming began in California in April 2019; the series’ official title was announced a month later.
Star Trek: Picard premiered on 23 January 2020; its first season consists of 10 episodes. Before the launch, CBS All Access renewed Star Trek: Picard for a second 10-episode season.
The series begins 20 years after Jean-Luc Picard’s last appearance in Star Trek: Nemesis (2002), and finds the character deeply affected by the death of Data in that film as well as the destruction of the planet Romulus in the film Star Trek (2009).
- Patrick Stewart as Jean-Luc Picard:
- A former Starfleet admiral who previously commanded the USS Enterprise.
- Picard retired from Starfleet in protest when the Federation chose not to aid the Romulans when their planet was destroyed.
- Co-creator Alex Kurtzman saw the series as a redemption story for Picard who is now at the end of his life and must face the consequences of his choice to abandon Starfleet and the Romulans, with the series depicting the suffering that has happened since he retired and Picard’s attempts to make up for his past actions.
- Alison Pill as Agnes Jurati:
- A former Starfleet doctor and expert on synthetic life who joins Picard’s mission.
- Isa Briones as Dahj and Soji Asha:
- Twin androids with organic bodies created as the daughters of Data.
- Briones also portrays Sutra, an earlier android model.
- Evan Evagora as Elnor:
- A Romulan refugee whom Picard abandoned as a boy and was raised by the Qowat Milat, a sect of all-female warrior nuns.
- Michelle Hurd as Rafaella “Raffi” Musiker:
- Picard’s former Starfleet first officer who struggles with substance abuse.
- Santiago Cabrera as Cristobal “Chris” Rios:
- A former Starfleet officer and the pilot of La Sirena.
- Cabrera also portrays the emergency holograms aboard La Sirena.
- Harry Treadaway as Narek:
- A Romulan agent sent to seduce and spy on Soji Asha.
Star Trek Picard Series
- Episode 01: Remembrance.
- Episode 02: Maps and Legends.
- Episode 03: The End is the Beginning.
- Episode 04: Absolute Candour.
- Episode 05: Stardust City Rag.
- Episode 06: The Impossible Box.
- Episode 07: Nepenthe.
- Episode 08: Broken Pieces.
- Episode 09: Et in Arcadia Ego, Part 01.
- Episode 10: Et in Arcadia Ego, Part 02.
You can find a full index of Star Trek TV series here.
Star Trek TV Series, Films, and Documentaries
You can find a full index of all Star Trek TV series, films, documentaries here.
Production & Filming Details
- Creator(s): Akiva Goldsman, Michael Chabon, Kirsten Beyer, and Alex Kurtzman.
- Director(s): Hanelle M. Culpepper, Jonathan Frakes, Maja Vrvilo, Doug Aarniokski, and Akiva Goldsman.
- Producer(s): Patrick Stewart, Michael Chabon, Akiva Goldsman, James Duff. Alex Kurtzman, Heather Kadin, Rod Roddenberry, and Trevor Roth.
- Writer(s): Akiva Goldsman, James Duff, Akiva Goldsman, Michael Chabon, Kirsten Beyer, Alex Kurtzman, Samantha Humphrey, and Ayelet Waldman.
- Music: Jeff Russo.
- Production: Secret Hideout, Weed Road Pictures, Escapist Fare, Roddenberry Entertainment, and CBS Television Studios.
- Distributor: CBS Television Distribution.
- Release Date: 23 January 2020 to 26 March 2020.
- Running Time: 46 minutes.
- Country: US.
- Language: English.