Star Trek is an American media franchise based on the science fiction television series created by Gene Roddenberry.
The first television series, called Star Trek and now known as “The Original Series” or “Star Trek: TOS”, debuted on 08 September 1966 and aired for three seasons on NBC.
It followed the voyages of the starship USS Enterprise on its five-year mission, the purpose of which was:
“to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before!”.
The USS Enterprise was a space exploration vessel built by the United Federation of Planets in the 23rd century for Starfleet.
The Star Trek canon includes the Original Series, an animated series, six spin-off television series, the film franchise, and further adaptations in several media (such as books and video games).
Starfleet is a fictional organisation in the Star Trek franchise. Within this fictional universe, Starfleet is a uniformed space force maintained by the United Federation of Planets as the principal means for conducting deep space exploration, research, defence, peacekeeping, and diplomacy.
The United Federation of Planets
In the fictional Star Trek universe, the United Federation of Planets (UFP), commonly referred to as The Federation, is a form of interstellar government.
It is an organisation of numerous planetary sovereignties, and although viewers are never told about the internal workings of the government, many episodes refer to the rules and laws that The Federation imposes on the characters and their adventures.
It is a Representative Republic led by a President based in the capital in San Francisco, California, Earth. This is also were Starfleet headquarters is located.
The survival, success, and growth of the Federation and its principles of freedom have become some of the Star Trek franchise’s central themes.
The general premise of the original series was to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilisations, to boldly go where no man has gone before!
Although the Star Trek franchise has encountered a plethora of alien species, there are a number of recurring cultures encountered:
- The Dominion.
- And many more.
Star Trek TV Series, Films & Documentaries
Below you can find a full index of Star Trek TV series, films, and documentaries:
- TV Series:
- Star Trek: The Original Series (1966-1969).
- Star Trek: The Animated Series (1973-1974).
- Star Trek: The Next Generation (1987-1994).
- Star Trek: Deep Space Nine (1993-1999).
- Star Trek: Voyager (1995-2001).
- Star Trek: Enterprise (2001-2005).
- Star Trek: Discovery (2017-Present).
- Star Trek: Short Treks (2018-Present).
- Star Trek: Picard (2020-Present).
- Star Trek: Lower Decks (2020-Present).
- Star Trek: Untitled Philippa Georgiou series (In Development).
- Star Trek: Untitled Nickelodeon animated series (In Development).
- The Original Series (TOS):
- The Next Generation (TNG):
- Kelvin Timeline (Reboot):
- Journey’s End: The Saga of Star Trek (1994).
- The Science of Star Trek (1995).
- The Making of Star Trek: First Contact (1996).
- Trekkies 01 (1997).
- Inside Star Trek: The Real Story (1998).
- Mind Meld: Secrets Behind the Voyage of a Lifetime (2001).
- Trekkies 02 (2004).
- How William Shatner Changed the World (2005).
- Beyond the Final Frontier (2007).
- The Captain’s Summit (2009).
- Star Trek: The Captains (2011).
- Trek Nation (2011).
- The Captains Up Close (2013).
- Chaos on the Bridge (2014).
- To Be Takei (2014).
- For the Love of Spock (2016).
- Inside the Roddenberry Vault (2016).
- 50 Years of Star Trek (2016).
- Building Star Trek (2016).
- The Truth is in the Stars (2017).
- What We Left Behind (2019).
- Women in Motion (2019).
- Real Story – S05E01 – Star Trek (0000).
You can read interesting trivia and background details about the Star Trek franchise here.
Production & Filming Details
- Creator: Gene Roddenberry.
- Release Date: 08 September 1966.
- Running Time: 50 minutes.
- Country: US.
- Language: English.