Exterminate All the Brutes is an internationally co-produced documentary miniseries revolving around colonisation and genocide, directed by Raoul Peck.
The series follows colonisation and multiple genocides, and the effect of both, alongside imperialism and white supremacy.
In the series premiere, “The Disturbing Confidence of Ignorance,” filmmaker Raoul Peck sets out to illuminate the intertwined currents of hate and bigotry running through history. Focusing on the United States’ legacy as a colonial power, Peck explores how race first became institutionalised, the Nazi programme of “elimination” and its antecedents in the West, and the looting of the African continent in a “gentlemen’s agreement.
In the second episode, “Who the F*** is Columbus,” Peck revisits the stories of Christopher Columbus, the Alamo, and the Trail of Tears from an indigenous perspective, showing how “official” history is shaped by those in power and solidified by myth and popular culture. Next, he examines the “doctrine of discovery” used to justify the enslavement of millions of Africans and questions his own story within these narratives.
In the third instalment of the series, “Killing at a Distance or…How I Thoroughly Enjoyed the Outing,” Peck looks back at human migration, trade, and weaponry, and shows how Europeans used industrialised steel to conduct warfare from ever-greater distances. Then, he explores the endless cycle of militarisation throughout the centuries – from George Washington’s efforts to jump-start American arms manufacturing, to the Monroe Doctrine, and finally, to the horrors of the bombing of civilians in Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
In the series finale, “The Bright Colours of Facism,” Peck explores the challenge of reconciling America’s true history with its ideals of freedom and democracy, pointing to the struggle for native representation and the legacy of slavery in institutionalised racism today. Reflecting on his time in Berlin, Peck links the modern resurgence of white nationalism with fascism, slavery, colonialism, and Nazism.
Exterminate All The Brutes Series
Production & Filming Details
- Raoul Peck.
- Raoul Peck.
- Raoul Peck … executive producer (4 episodes, 2021).
- Rémi Grellety … executive producer (4 episodes, 2021).
- Nancy Abraham … executive producer (3 episodes, 2021).
- Lisa Heller … executive producer (3 episodes, 2021).
- Jamie Morris … executive producer (2 episodes, 2021).
- Sara Rodriguez … senior producer (2 episodes, 2021).
- Ana Guerrero Guillen … line producer (1 episode, 2021).
- Marc Moreno … assistant producer (2019) (unknown episodes).
- Raoul Peck.
- Alexei Aigui … (4 episodes, 2021).
- Kolja Brandt … (4 episodes, 2021).
- Stéphane Fontaine … (4 episodes, 2021).
- HBO Documentary Films.
- Velvet Film.
- HBO Max (2021) (USA) (video) (VOD).
- Home Box Office (HBO) (2021) (USA) (TV).
- Sky Documentaries (2021) (UK) (TV).
- Release Date: 07 April 2021 to 08 April 2021.
- Running time: 232 minutes (total running time).
- Rating: Unknown.
- Country: US.
- Language: English.