Charité at War is a six-part 2019 German-language TV series starring Sarah Bauerett, Susanne Böwe and Mala Emde.
The series describes the accomplishments of several famous German physicians and scientists at the prestigious Charité hospital in Berlin during its history.
It is a sequel of Charité (see below).
Charité is a German drama television series. The first season was directed by Sönke Wortmann, and was written by Grimme-Preis winner Dorothee Schön and Sabine Thor-Wiedemann. The season is set during 1888 and the years following at Berlin’s Charité hospital. The series premiered on 21 March 2017 on the German channel Das Erste, and has been distributed in the USA on Netflix since April 2018.
A second series went into production in November 2017, and first aired in Germany in February 2019. This season is directed by Anno Saul and was also written by Schön and Thor-Wiedemann. It is set in the years from 1943 to 1945. The cast was replaced with an entirely new set of actors because of the great time lapse between the seasons. This second series began streaming on Netflix in North America in mid-2019 as Charité at War.
Season 3 launched on ARD and Netflix Germany on 12 January 2021. The season is set in 1961, the same year that construction began on the Berlin Wall.
Outline (Series 02)
In 1943, more and more patients are admitted into the Berlin Charité due to World War II. The hospital is still considered a focal point for medicine, but the staff is divided since some members do not support the regime while others are staunch followers of the government. One of the most known doctors at the Charité is Ferdinand Sauerbruch, a surgeon practicing there since 1928. He became world-famous in the 1930s by developing innovative surgical techniques which greatly decreased the risks of operations at the time. He was also responsible for inventing new types of prostheses which improved the mobility of the patient’s remaining muscle. He seems to become more and more critical of the Nazi regime as World War II progresses which makes him clash with several of his colleagues. One of them is Max de Crinis, a psychiatrist. He is a high-ranking member of the SS who greatly supports the government. Unlike Sauerbruch, De Crinis is also an avid proponent of the country’s euthanasia programmes, some of which are carried out at the Charité.
Cast (Series 02)
- Mala Emde as Anni Waldhausen.
- Ulrich Noethen as Ferdinand Sauerbruch.
- Jannik Schümann as Otto Marquardt.
- Luise Wolfram as Margot Sauerbruch.
- Artjom Gilz as Artur Waldhausen.
- Jacob Matschenz as Martin Schelling.
- Frida-Lovisa Hamann as Nurse Christel.
- Susanne Böwe as Nurse Käthe.
- Lukas Miko as Max de Crinis.
- Hans Löw as Adolphe Jung.
- Sarah Bauerett as Maria Fritsch.
- Marek Harloff as Fritz Kolbe.
- Peter Kremer as Georg Bessau.
- Max von Pufendorf as Hans von Dohnányi.
- Katharina Heyer as Magda Goebbels.
- Pierre Kiwitt as Claus von Stauffenberg.
- Anja Schneider as Christine von Dohnanyi.
- Thomas Neumann as Karl Bonhoeffer.
Charité at War Series
- Series 02 (2019):
Production & Filming Details
- Anno Saul.
- Dorothee Schon.
- Sabine Thor-Wiedemann.
- Release Date:
- Series 01: 21 March 2017 to 18 April 2017.
- Series 02: 12 February 2019 to 19 March 2019.
- Series 03: 12 January 2021 to 26 January 2021.
- Running Time: 45 minutes.
- Rating: 15.
- Country: Germany.
- Language: German.