World War I: The Complete Story is a 26-part documentary hosted by Robert Ryan, and published by CBS in 1964-1965.
Also known as World War I (original title) and The Complete Story: World War I.
The most comprehensive World War 1 documentary series ever made recalls the causes, conduct, and aftermath of “The War to End All Wars”.
Along with the social, political, and economic fabric of the times, the roles of key figures are analysed in depth.
Produced during the Golden Age of CBS TV documentaries, this series, narrated by Robert Ryan, contains some of the highest-quality World War 1 footage known to exist. It began as a regional conflict and escalated into a war of Empires that covered the Earth. World War I The Complete Story, is a comprehensive look at The War to End All Wars. Produced by CBS television in the early 1960s in anticipation of the 50th anniversary of the onset of World War I, this unflinching 26 episode series is more than just the history of this global conflict; it is also a photo album of the early twentieth century. From the political intrigues that led nations to war to Armistice day more than four years later, you will meet the men and machines that fought the war and witness every major battle and event of this global struggle. No other collection offers such a complete overview of one of history’s most destructive conflicts.
The Complete Story: World War I Series
- Episode 01: The Summer of Sarajevo.
- Episode 02: The Clash of the Generals.
- Episode 03: The Doomed Dynasties.
- Episode 04: Atrocity 1914.
- Episode 05: They Sank the Lusitania.
- Episode 06: Verdun the Inferno.
- Episode 07: The Battle of Jutland.
- Episode 08: The Trenches.
- Episode 09: D-Day at Gallipoli.
- Episode 10: America the Neutral.
- Episode 11: Wilson and the War.
- Episode 12: Revolution in Red.
- Episode 13: Behind the German Lines.
- Episode 14: Year of Lost Illusions.
- Episode 15: Over There.
- Episode 16: Over Here.
- Episode 17: Daredevils and Dogfights.
- Episode 18: The Agony of Caporetto.
- Episode 19: Tipperary and All That Jazz.
- Episode 20: The Promised Lands.
- Episode 21: The Tide Turns.
- Episode 22: The Battle of Argonne.
- Episode 23: The Day the Guns Stopped Firing.
- Episode 24: Wilson and Peace.
- Episode 25: The Allies in Russia.
- Episode 26: Heritage of War.
Production & Filming Details
- Robert Ryan.
- Burton Benjamin … executive producer (2 episodes, 1964).
- Isaac Kleinerman … producer (2 episodes, 1964).
- John Sharnik … producer (2 episodes, 1964).
- John Sharnik … (1 episode, 1964).
- Irve Tunick … (1 episode, 1964).
- Morton Gould … (26 episodes, 1964-1965).
- CBS News.
- CBS (1964) (USA) (TV).
- Release Date:
- 07 August 1964 (Switzerland, German speaking region).
- 22 September 1964 to 18 April 1965 (US).
- Running time: 30 minutes.
- Rating: Unknown.
- Country: US.
- Language: English.