The Last Post is a British television drama series first broadcast in the United Kingdom on BBC One from 01 October to 05 November 2017.
It is set in the backdrop of the Aden Emergency and a unit of the Royal Military Police depicting the conflict and the relationships of the men and their families together and with the local population.
- Jessie Buckley as Honor Martin.
- Stephen Campbell Moore as Lieutenant Ed Laithwaite.
- Amanda Drew as Mary Markham.
- Ben Miles as Major Harry Markham.
- Jeremy Neumark Jones as Captain Joe Martin.
- Jessica Raine as Alison Laithwaite.
- Ouidad Elma as Yusra Saeed.
- Chris Reilly as Sergeant Alex Baxter.
- Tom Glynn-Carney as Lance Corporal Tony Armstrong.
- Louis Greatorex as Lance Corporal Paul Stoneham.
- Richard Dillane as Harvey Tillbrook.
- Kevin Sutton as Corporal Israel Orchover.
- Essie Davis as Martha Franklin.
- Toby Woolf as George Markham.
- Aymen Hamdouchi as Kadir Hakim (Starfish).
- Joseph Kennedy as Captain Nick Page.
Executive producer of Bonafide Films’ Margery Bone proposed a story about British Army life on an army base. She approached Peter Moffat who had a military family background. Moffat suggested setting the series in the 1960s at the end of the British Empire with military personnel posted with their wives to a strategically important place. This gave a way to explore twentieth century British attitudes through a tightly knit group of people.
The producers needed a location similar to Aden with coast, mountains and desert and a colonial architectural influence, settling on Cape Town. A disused British naval base overlooking Simon’s Town bay provided a scale which is often difficult to achieve for television.
- The BBC production crew was unable to obtain permission for the UK Ministry of Defence to use the proper RMP crest for the production.
- They had to design a new crest that was at least 35% different from the real one.
- At 5:45 into episode 1, Lieutenant Laithwaite is seen holstering a Webley revolver as part of his uniform in 1965 Aden, despite the fact the Webley had been withdrawn from British military service by 1963, having been replaced by the Browning Hi-Power pistol.
The Last Post Series
- Episode 01: The New Man.
- Episode 02: Starfish.
- Episode 03: Above Thy Deep and Dreamless Sleep.
- Episode 04: The CO’s Boy.
- Episode 05: Precious Cargo.
- Episode 06: The Bigger Picture.
Production & Filming Details
- Miranda Bowen … (3 episodes, 2017).
- Jonny Campbell … (3 episodes, 2017).
- Margery Bone … producer (6 episodes, 2017).
- George Faber … executive producer (6 episodes, 2017).
- Peter Moffat … executive producer (6 episodes, 2017).
- Mark Pybus … producer (6 episodes, 2017).
- Matthew Read … executive producer (6 episodes, 2017).
- Lucy Richer … executive producer (6 episodes, 2017).
- Elwen Rowlands … executive producer (6 episodes, 2017).
- Claudine Sturdy … co-producer (6 episodes, 2017).
- Marisa Soneman … line producer (3 episodes, 2017).
- Peter Moffat … (6 episodes, 2017).
- Mick Collins … (1 episode, 2017).
- Solomon Grey … (6 episodes, 2017).
- David Luther … (3 episodes, 2017).
- Tony Slater Ling … (3 episodes, 2017).
- Jamie Pearson … (3 episodes, 2017).
- Sacha Szwarc … (3 episodes, 2017).
- Bonafide Films.
- The Forge Entertainment.
- BBC Worldwide (2017) (World-wide) (all media).
- British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) (2017) (UK) (TV) (BBC One).
- Amazon Studios (2017) (USA) (TV).
- BBC First (2017) (Netherlands) (TV) (limited).
- Release Date: 01 October 2017 to 05 November 2017.
- Running Time: 60 minutes.
- Rating: 15.
- Country: UK.
- Language: English.