Kuruluş: Osman, translated as Establishment: Osman, is a Turkish historical drama television series created by Mehmet Bozdağ and starring Burak Özçivit in the titular role.
It focuses on the life of Osman I, founder of the Ottoman Empire. It is also known as The Founder: Ottoman (Worldwide English title).
It follows on from Dirilis: Ertugrul (2014-2019).
The TV show includes Osman Gazi’s internal and external struggles and how he establishes and controls the Ottoman Empire. It portrays his struggles against Byzantium and the Mongol Ilkhanate and how he was able to secure independence from the Sultanate of Rum to establish a sovereign state that would stand up to the Byzantine and Mongol Empires and would honour the Turks.
The character of Osman faces many enemies and traitors in his quest and the show illustrates how he was able to overcome these obstacles and fulfill his mission with the help of his loyal companions, family, and friends.
The series follows Diriliş: Ertuğrul which was situated around Osman’s father, Ertuğrul, and how he faced enemies and traitors. It began in December 2014 and season 5 of the show concluded with Ertuğrul convincing Berke to start a war with Hulagu. This war was known as the Berke-Hulagu war and resulted in the division of the Mongol Empire into four khanates. In Kuruluş: Osman, Osman faces one of the khanates called the Ilkhanate.
10 or 15 years after the Berke-Hulagu war, Ertuğrul Gazi goes to Konya and he leaves his brother, Dündar Bey, in charge of his tribe. Dündar Bey is easily swain by others into doing their misdeeds, he falls into the trap of the devious Selçuk Sançak Bey, Alişar, and the merciless princess of Kulucahisar, Sofia, who seeks to kill all the Turks. Osman, Dündar’s nephew, can see through Alişar and Sofia’s plans and warns him about them, despite his refusal to listen. As they continue to build more tension against the Kayı, Geyhatu sends Komutan Balgay to cause more trouble and stop the Kayı, especially Osman, from rebelling against the Mongols. Dündar, who bows down to the Mongols becoming the Sançak Bey, can’t see Alişar’s anger over his position being given over to him and he believes him when Alişar blames Osman for his son’s killing. Soon after, along with the threat from Kulucahisar, Dündar is shown the truth, Alişar is beheaded by Osman, and Osman has married his love, Bala. Following this, after many difficulties, Balgay is presumably killed by Osman while Kulucahisar is conquered by the Kayı with Sofia’s death happening in the process.
Aya Nikola is sent by the Byzantine Emperor, Andronikos II to become the new Tekfur of İnegöl followed by Ertuğrul’s return in the tribe. Meanwhile, Yavlak Arslan, the new Uç Bey, seeks to create his own state and sees Osman as an obstacle, later on they unite against the new threat created by the new Ilkhan of the Ilkhanate, who allies with Nikola against the Turks of Anatolia. Bala also faces the arrival of Targun, Nikola’s spy who allies with Osman to save her father, İnal Bey. Along with these problems, Osman is elected as the new Bey after his father’s death, whilst he decides to marry a second wife according to his father’s will. After Targun’s death, Osman meets Malhun Hatun and initiates a major battle with the Byzantines, historically known as the Battle of Mount Armenia, as well as trying to find the traitor in the Kayı, as his jealous uncle Dündar helps the Byzantines stir traps for him. Dündar is eventually executed by Osman for his betrayal. Following the arrival of Ömer Bey, father of Malhun Hatun, Geyhatu sends Kara Şaman Togay, son of Baycu Noyan, to eliminate both Osman’s Kayı and Ömer’s Bayındır, but after a series of conflicts between the two tribes, Togay fails and is killed by Osman. Nikola is later defeated by Osman, with the support of Seljuk Sultan Mesud II, though he survives. Osman also marries Malhun Hatun, who gives birth to Osman’s son Orhan, whilst his first wife Bala Hatun becomes pregnant.
The release date of Season 03 Episode 01 is 06 October 2021.
- Burak Özçivit as Osman Bey; Osman (also referred to as “Kara Osman”, transl. ”Dark Osman”) is the third and youngest son of Ertuğrul Gazi and Halime Sultan.
- He is also the younger brother of Gündüz Bey and Savcı Bey, and nephew of Selcan Hatun, who he treats as his own mother. He is the father of Orhan and husband of Bala Hatun and Malhun Hatun, and aspires to follow in the footsteps of his father Ertuğrul and his grandfather Süleyman Şah. He is extremely attentive to his surroundings and good with a sword, just like his father. He disobeys his beys sometimes, traveling on the path he believes is successful. His weakness is his care for his close ones, making him prone to traps. He humiliates his enemies both on the battlefield and while negotiating, leaving them with a thirst for revenge. He is elected as the Bey of his tribe in season 2. He decides to marry a second wife as per his father’s will, as well as changing the Kayı flag. Based on Osman I.
- Ragıp Savaş as Dündar Bey; Dündar is the youngest son of Süleyman Şah and Hayme Hatun.
- The youngest brother of Sungurtekin Bey and Ertuğrul Gazi, and the youngest adoptive brother of Selcan Hatun. Husband of Hazal Hatun and widower of Zöhre Hatun. Father of Aygül, Batur and Bahadır, adoptive father of Saltuk Alp. Uncle of Gündüz, Savcı and Osman. Is easily swayed by others. He was made substitute Bey while Ertuğrul Gazi was on a mission in Konya. When the Mongols attacked, he preferred to bow down to them rather than fight, angering those who were close to Osman Bey. Tries to take over Gündüz’s Beylik when he became the Bey instead of him and helps the Mongols against Osman Bey. Is manipulated by his wives. He became the Selçuk Sançak Bey, a Selçuk operative figure, for a while after he allied with the Mongols. He later accepts his mistakes and begs for forgiveness but was punished by Ertuğrul and sent out of the tribe for a while into Söğüt. He respects and is loyal to his older brother, Ertuğrul Gazi. Later in season two, when Ertuğrul goes on his death bead, he decides to betray his brother and nephews in order to seize the Kayı Beylik. He is angered when Osman becomes the Bey, collaborating with anyone against Osman. He is eventually executed by Osman for his treachery. Based on Dündar Bey.
- Özge Törer as Bala Hatun; Bala is the daughter of Şeyh Edebali and Ulduz Hatun, who died because of a disease.
- She is also Osman Bey’s wife and a beautiful painter while being best friends with Gonca Hatun. Bala is loyal to her father, the Ahi brotherhood and Selcan Hatun. She is extremely calm and patient but is prone to heartbreak. A Mongol stabbed her in season 1 and she therefore cannot produce a baby, and she is constantly teased due to this fact. In season 2, after her husband is elected Bey, she becomes the Hanım (Head Hatun) of the Kayı tribe, succeeding Selcan Hatun. She is upset when Osman decides to marry a second wife, but accepts her fate. Eventually becomes pregnant. Based on Rabia Bala Hatun.
- Yiğit Uçan as Boran Alp; Boran is one of Osman Bey’s main alps and his best friend.
- A close companion of Konur and later Göktuğ, Dumrul, Gence Bey and Cerkutay. He is in love with Gonca Hatun, and is engaged to her. He is a talented bard and singer. He uses a sword while being skilled in archery, and often also uses a bow and arrow in close combat.
- Burak Çelik as Göktug Alp Göktug (formerly Kongar) is one of Osman Bey’s main alps.
- He is formerly Balgay’s right-hand man and adoptive son, and Konur Alp’s long lost younger brother. He becomes a “Mankurt” (brainwashed Mongol) after his tribe is raided after he is given to a slave trader. He reverts to Islam after he sees a letter from the Emperor confirming Balgay bought him from the slave market. He is recaptured by Balgay who again brainwashes him with the use of his shaman. After killing his brother, the devastated Göktug reverts to Islam once again. He becomes the Alpbaşı (transl. Chief Alp) of the Kayı tribe after Osman becomes the Bey. He returns from his fake exile as Osman’s spy on Nikola and Targun. He later helps Bala escape and kill Targun and reunites with Osman. After Targun’s death, he becomes the leader of the Cuman Turks. Not to be confused with Diriliş: Ertuğrul’s Göktuğ.
- Yıldız Çağrı Atiksoy as Malhun Hatun; Malhun is the daughter of Ömer Bey, the wife of Osman Bey, the mother of Orhan and the Hanım of the Bayındır tribe, an Oğuz tribe settled in Ankara suffering persecution from Geyhatu.
- The tribe consists of 1,000 people and seeks to settle in Bithynia on Osman’s invitation, which was one of the reasons why Malhun came. Comes from a noble lineage of Beys formerly loyal to the Selçuk State and Sultan Alaeddin Keykubat. She is skilled in archery and combat, but has tense relations with Bala Hatun while being somewhat arrogant due to her father’s power. Is sent by her father to examine the western borders of the state. She discovers Dündar’s ring in Söğüt, and attempts to find the traitors in the Kayı tribe herself. After marrying Osman, she gives birth to his first son – Orhan. Based on Malhun Hatun.
The series is written and produced by Mehmet Bozdağ and directed by Metin Günay. The theme music is by Alpay Göktekin (died 05 May 2020) and Zeynep Alasya. It was filmed in Riva, Istanbul and broadcasting of the first season began in November 2019 on ATV.Join Seljuks ve ottomans devlet posting on facebook for further updates. Filming of the third season began in late August 2021.
The show has been well received in Turkey. In December 2019, Kuruluş: Osman attracted record viewership on ATV, in its fourth weekend of broadcast, the 4th episode of the series recorded a countrywide rating of 14.46. Mehmet Bozdağ claims that the show has also been a great success in Albania, he said that the show is the “most watched TV show” in the country. In Albania, the show is called “Osmani”. In January 2021, the show, which was one of the most popular shows in Turkey, began broadcasting in the Middle East on Noor Play.
Kurulus: Osman Series
Production & Filming Details
- Fethi Bayram … (51 episodes, 2019-2021).
- Metin Günay … (51 episodes, 2019-2021).
- Ahmet Yilmaz … (51 episodes, 2019-2021).
- Mehmet Bozdag … producer (51 episodes, 2019-2021).
- Asli Zeynep Peker Bozdag … (written by) (51 episodes, 2019-2021).
- Mehmet Bozdag … (creator) (51 episodes, 2019-2021).
- Atilla Engin … (written by) (51 episodes, 2019-2021).
- Ozan Bodur … (written by) (27 episodes, 2019-2020).
- Rafet Elçi … (written by) (18 episodes, 2020-2021).
- Isa Yildiz … (written by) (7 episodes, 2021).
- Mehmet Ilker Altinay … (written by) (6 episodes, 2021).
- Zeynep Alasya … (27 episodes, 2019-2020).
- Alpay Göltekin … (27 episodes, 2019-2020).
- Ömer Faruk Karacan … (27 episodes, 2019-2020).
- Turgay Aksoy … (4 episodes, 2019-2020).
- Yarkin San … (27 episodes, 2019-2020).
- Esra Topal … (27 episodes, 2019-2020).
- Harun Özdemir … (27 episodes, 2019-2020).
- Akif Özkan … (27 episodes, 2019-2020).
- Bozdag Film.
- Tekden Film.
- ATV (2019) (Turkey) (TV).
- Release Date:
- Series 01: 20 November 2019 to 24 June 2020.
- Series 02: 07 October 2020 to 23 June 2021.
- Series 03: 06 October 2021 to ?
- Running Time:
- ATV: 120-150 minutes (per episode).
- Geo Entertainment: 27-90 minutes (per episode).
- Rating: TV-14.
- Country: Turkey.
- Language: Turkish and English (subtitles).