Star Trek is an American media franchise based on the science fiction television series created by Gene Roddenberry.
The first television series, called Star Trek and now known as “The Original Series” or “Star Trek: TOS”, debuted on 08 September 1966 and aired for three seasons on NBC.
It followed the voyages of the starship USS Enterprise on its five-year mission, the purpose of which was:
“to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before!”.
The USS Enterprise was a space exploration vessel built by the United Federation of Planets in the 23rd century for Starfleet.
The Star Trek canon includes the Original Series, an animated series, six spin-off television series, the film franchise, and further adaptations in several media (such as books and video games).
There have been a variety of Star Trek documentaries over the years.
They have covered topics including:
- The fan base of Star Trek;
- Behind the scenes of the various films and TV series;
- Cultural and technological implications;
- Interviews with ‘The Captain’s’ of Star Trek;
- The struggle to create the series; and
- An examination Leonard Nimoy and his character ‘Spock’.
Star Trek Documentaries
- Journey’s End: The Saga of Star Trek (1994).
- The Science of Star Trek (1995).
- The Making of Star Trek: First Contact (1996).
- Trekkies 01 (1997).
- Inside Star Trek: The Real Story (1998).
- Mind Meld: Secrets Behind the Voyage of a Lifetime (2001).
- Trekkies 02 (2004).
- How William Shatner Changed the World (2005).
- Beyond the Final Frontier (2007).
- The Captain’s Summit (2009).
- Star Trek: The Captains (2011).
- Trek Nation (2011).
- The Captains Up Close (2013).
- The Real Story – S05E01 – Star Trek (2013).
- Chaos on the Bridge (2014).
- To Be Takei (2014).
- For the Love of Spock (2016).
- Inside the Roddenberry Vault (2016).
- 50 Years of Star Trek (2016).
- Building Star Trek (2016).
- The Truth is in the Stars (2017).
- What We Left Behind: Looking Back at Star Trek Deep Space Nine (2019).
- Women in Motion (2019).
Star Trek TV Series, Films, and Documentaries
You can find a full index of Star Trek TV series, films, documentaries here.
You can read interesting trivia and background details about the Star Trek franchise here.
Production & Filming Details
- Creator: Gene Roddenberry.
- Release Date: 08 September 1966.
- Running Time: 50 minutes.
- Country: US.
- Language: English.