Spaceballs: The Animated Series, also known as Spaceballs: The Series, is an adult animated television series that premiered in 2008 on G4 and Canada’s Super Channel, and is loosely based on the parody science fiction film Spaceballs (1978).
Similarly to how the original film parodied the original Star Wars films and the Star Trek universe, each episode of the series parodies a different film or other aspect of popular culture, such as the Star Wars prequel trilogy, The Lord of the Rings, or the Grand Theft Auto video games.
Lone Starr and Barf are named fans of the day at a Spankees ball game and win a trip to Watch your Assic Park to see the Spankees train. After they arrive at Isla Nueblo (180 star miles from Planet Costa Rica) they learn how Skroob, the owner of the Spankees, uses a combination of steroids and dinosaur DNA to create Dino-athletes and rule the sports universe. Despite being quite disgusted, Lone Starr, Barf, Vespa and Dot take the park tour anyway, accompanied by Skroob’s precious 9 year old niece Jasmine and two anonymous lawyers.
Parody/Spoof: Jurassic Park.
Spaceballs: The Animated Series
You can find a full index and outline of Spaceballs: The Animated Series here.
Star Wars Series
- Overview of the Star Wars Franchise.
- Overview of Star Wars Films.
- Overview of Star Wars Parodies.
- Hardware Wars (1978).
- Spaceballs (1987).
- Spaceballs: The Animated Series (2008).
- Thumb Wars: The Phantom Cuticle (1999).
- Family Guy TV Series:
- Overview of Star Wars TV Series.
- Overview of Star Wars Documentary Series.
- Overview of LEGO Star Wars.
Production & Filming Details
- Director(s): Chad Hammes.
- Writer(s): Adam Kosloff.
- Release Date: 12 December 2008.
- Running Time: 30 minutes (per episode, approximate).
- Country: US.
- Language: English.