Ross James Kemp (born 21 July 1964) is an English actor, author, and television war reporter. He rose to prominence in the role of Grant Mitchell in the BBC soap opera EastEnders. Since 2004, Kemp has received international recognition as a journalist for the BAFTA Award-winning documentary series Ross Kemp on Gangs.
Outline (Afghanistan Documentaries)
Ross Kemp in Afghanistan is a Sky One British documentary series fronted by actor Ross Kemp about the British soldiers fighting in the War in Afghanistan as part of the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) mission against the Taliban. The first two series involved Kemp and a small embedded film crew following troops fighting in Helmand Province, documenting their part in the ongoing Operation Herrick.
The first series, first broadcast in January 2008, followed the 2007 deployment of the 1st Battalion (1 R ANGLIAN, “The Vikings”) of the Royal Anglian Regiment. As a follow-up to the first series, Ross Kemp: Return to Afghanistan, first broadcast from 1 February 2009, followed the 2008 deployment of the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders (5 SCOTS), the 5th battalion of the Royal Regiment of Scotland. Kemp and his crew participate in the Vikings’ (Royal Anglians) initial training in Britain for the deployment. They then visit the unit during their six-month tour, filming both life at rest and on fighting patrols in Helmand. The series finally covers their return to the UK. In the second series, Kemp returns to Afghanistan to assess how the conflict has changed since his first visit in 2007.
A special two-part third series, entitled Middle East, follows Kemp as he visits soldiers working in Gaza and Israel. In the fourth series, Back on the Frontline, Kemp returns to the frontline with the Royal Marines as he re-visits Afghanistan two years after he last departed, to see how the country has progressed since his last visit. A final special, broadcast in 2012, entitled The Invisible Wounded, follows soldiers as they return home from Afghanistan, some of whom are forced to deal with the aftermath of PTSD.
Unlike a “traditional” war documentary, the first series was firmly positioned by Kemp as being the “soldiers’ story”, focusing on the experiences of the soldiers at home and abroad, and also features the views of their families. With a personal connection with the Vikings, Kemp is an ardent supporter of the men and the mission, and his film makes many criticisms of the situation the soldiers find themselves in.
Outline (Extreme World Documentaries)
Ross Kemp: Extreme World is a British documentary series that has been broadcast on Sky 1 since 21 February 2011. Hosted by actor Ross Kemp, the series follows Kemp and a film crew around the world as they explore various forms of hardship, including homelessness, illicit trade, drug addiction, violence and poverty. Often, he speaks to the authorities who are attempting to combat the problems, and tries to establish contact with ringleaders to get to the source of the issue. A total of six series have been aired.
- During the filming of the first series, in one engagement the crew were pinned down by fire from the Taliban, with Kemp “nearly dying” with bullets passing “within inches”.
- In filming the second series, Kemp runs into a possible minefield.
- The show was praised for the closeness and realism of the battle footage, and is believed to be the first documentary of its kind filmed in high definition.
Ross Kemp Documentaries
- Ross Kemp in Afghanistan (2008):
- Episode 01: Royal Anglian.
- Episode 02: Camp Bastion.
- Episode 03: Now Zad Base.
- Episode 04: B Company.
- Episode 05: Hunt for Taliban.
- Ross Kemp: Return to Afghanistan (2009):
- Episode 01: Return to Afghanistan.
- Episode 02: The Reality of War is Here.
- Episode 03: Major Contact.
- Episode 04: 5 Scots.
- Episode 05: Finale.
- Ross Kemp: Back on the Frontline (2011):
- Ross Kemp: The Invisible Wounded (2012):
- One-off special episode.
- Extreme World (2011-2017):
- Series 03 (2014):
- Episode 03: Northern Ireland.
- Episode 04: Lebanon.
- Series 04 (2015):
- Episode 01: Ukraine.
- Series 05 (2016):
- Episode 01: The Fight Against ISIS.
- Episode 05: Colombia.
- Episode 06: Syria.
- Series 03 (2014):
Production & Filming Details
- John Conroy.
- Anuar Arroyo.
- Matt Bennett … series producer (unknown episodes).
- Bella Saer … (unknown episodes).
- Paul Crosby … (unknown episodes).
- Tiger Aspect Productions (production company).
- Sky One (2008) (UK) (TV).
- Release Date:
- Ross Kemp in Afghanistan: 21 January 2008 to 18 February 2008.
- Return to Afghanistan: 01 February 2009 to 01 March 2009.
- Middle East: 03 January 2010 to 10 January 2010.
- Back on the Frontline: 14 November 2011 to 12 December 2011.
- Special: The Invisible Wounded: 12 November 2012.
- Rating: 15.
- Running Time: 60 minutes.
- Country: UK.
- Language: English.